none
Unable to install Hyper-V

Question

• Hi

I'm trying to install Hyper-V but the role simply isn't there to add.  I've ensured that Intel VT is enabled in the BIOS and that I'm installing from media including Hyper-V.  Any advice / suggestions?

Many Thanks

Chris

Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:03 PM

Answers

• Ensure you are running the x64 version of Windows Server 2008.  9 times in 10 that's the issue :-)

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:44 PM

All replies

• Ensure you are running the x64 version of Windows Server 2008.  9 times in 10 that's the issue :-)

Sunday, April 27, 2008 10:44 PM
  • Hi!

I had the same issue in the past, in my case it was that i tried to use it with a X86 machine - that doesn't work! As a minimum to enable the Hyper-V role you need a VT supported CPU and a X64 system.

kind regards,
    Matthias

Monday, April 28, 2008 11:10 AM
  • Well... I had a 64-bit machine, I was able to set the NoExecute bit and still it wouldn't work. Turned out that my BIOS just wouldn't support Hyper-V. Tried another server and it worked like a charm

Monday, April 28, 2008 2:12 PM
  •  

Thanks Taylor, I'm sure that's it!  I wasn't aware that there isn't a 32bit version of Hyper-V.  I'll try with x64 tonight and see if enough of my apps work (and fast enough) to make the change worthwhile!

Cheers

Chris

Monday, April 28, 2008 3:15 PM