Windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume.

Question

• Hi,

I am deploying many new HP Proliant DL G6 servers and am trying to install Server 2008 from a USB key. The USB key is recognized and starts to boot, but quickly gives this error on the screen; "Windows could not determine if this computer contains a valid system volume." I actually have 2 keys plugged in, one with AutoUnattend.xml on it and one with the 2008 install files. If I remove the USB keys and use a DVD instead it boots fine and installs fine on the RAID1 volume created on the P410i for the OS.

Searching the Internet brings up other people with this problem, but they have solved it by moving the USB key to be after the Harddrive in the boot order. This has not worked for me thus far. It also doesn't help if there is a pre-existing OS on the server because then it boots to the existing OS instead of to the key so you can flatten it and reinstall at once.

Has anyone ever run into this and found a way to fix it?

Thank you very much in advance.
    Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 5:17 PM

Answers

• Using the HP USB Key utility to put Smart Start 8.25 on the key looks to be working so far. Time to learn how to script that.
    Brian Day / MCSA / CCNA, Exchange/AD geek.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 7:58 PM