none
command to disable scavenging on all zones

Question

• Hello,

I am in the process reconfigure my DNS servers scavenging cycle.  Is there a command that I can use to disable scavenging on all zones all at once (I have more than one primary zones)?.

What is the different when enable scavenging at the server level vs. zone level?

Thanks for your help.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:06 PM

Answers

•  

Hi brichardi05,

Thanks for posting here.

>We have many primary zones, and I wanted to find the way to disable scavenging on all the primary zones instead of going to each zone and uncheck the scavenging check box.

Yes, I truly understand you concern however we need first make sure if we have individually configure this setting for each zone on server, if not then we can just disable it at serve level otherwise base on my knowledge we have no way to do that at one time in GUI but need to customize a script in order to allow system to finish the job in batch automatically for each zone.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by brichardi05 Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:55 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:57 AM

All replies

•  

Hi brichardi05,

Thanks for posting here.

May I know if we have set the scavenging for each zone before on this server ? otherwise we can just disable the scavenging at server level .

If no then I think we need a script to accomplish it  (query and back all zones on server and modify for it one by one ) by posting to official script guy forum :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/ITCG/threads

> What is the different when enable scavenging at the server level vs. zone level?

We may read the detail explanations form the links below:

Using DNS Aging and Scavenging

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757041(WS.10).aspx

Don't be afraid of DNS Scavenging. Just be patient.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/networking/archive/2008/03/19/don-t-be-afraid-of-dns-scavenging-just-be-patient.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi Li,

We have 10 DCs which also an DNSs server.  I was tasked to reconfigure DNS scavenging base on Microsoft best practice.  All 10 DC/DNS servers were enabled for scavenging, and I want to have just on DNS server doing all the scavenging.  We have many primary zones, and I wanted to find the way to disable scavenging on all the primary zones instead of going to each zone and uncheck the scavenging check box.  I have read thru those links that you posted before posting my questions.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Best practice is to just have it on one DNS server, and the changes get replicated. At least you're doing the right thing.

As Tiger first suggested, you can simply disable it on each server at the server level other than the one you want to keep scavenging enabled on.

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:45 AM
  •  

Hi brichardi05,

Thanks for posting here.

>We have many primary zones, and I wanted to find the way to disable scavenging on all the primary zones instead of going to each zone and uncheck the scavenging check box.

Yes, I truly understand you concern however we need first make sure if we have individually configure this setting for each zone on server, if not then we can just disable it at serve level otherwise base on my knowledge we have no way to do that at one time in GUI but need to customize a script in order to allow system to finish the job in batch automatically for each zone.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Tiger Li

• Marked as answer by brichardi05 Thursday, March 01, 2012 1:55 PM
    Thursday, March 01, 2012 7:57 AM