none
Slow Printing on RDS on Server 2008 R2

General discussion

• We have resently upgraded from a 2000 Terminal server to a 2008 R2 Remote desktop Server. The clients are running XP Pro and have SP3 installed and .net Framework 3.5 SP1.

Users are complaining that printing is very slow on the new system and there is a noticable difference when printing.

We are using the Windows Easy Print to redirect users printers, we do not have any drivers or printers installed on the RDS itself as we want to soley use Easy Print as we have a number of home users all with different printers and most do not have 64bit drivers available.

I have disabled TCP Chimney Offload, RSS and Receive Windows Auto-Tuning Level on the server but this has had no effect.

Please can you advise on the best course of action to improve printing speeds.

• Changed type Wilson Jia Monday, July 19, 2010 9:44 AM escalated
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Easy Print is a new feature since Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services. In the process of Easy Print, the Easy Print universal driver acts as a proxy and redirects all the UI calls to the driver on the client. The performance of the feature quite depends on the related drivers which supports Easy Print. In such a case, please consider to check the following two factors:

·          Check the official website of the printer and install the most updated printer driver supporting Easy Print for your printer.

·          Update the driver for the network adapter on both the server and the client side.

Besides, here is a known issue described on the following KB article and please take it as reference:

FIX: After you apply hotfix 954744, printing performance may be significantly slower when you print documents by using Terminal Services Easy Print

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=954743

Wilson Jia

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:11 AM
  • I have seen that article but I have not applied that hot fix show it should not apply. I will update the printer drivers and network card drivers to the latest versions and I will update this oncw this has been done with the results.

Thanks for your advice.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 10:15 AM
  • I have updated the printer driver and network drivers and this has made no difference to the print speed. To give you an example printing a document from the old 2000 terminal server took an average of 12.2 seconds.

From the 2008 R2 terminal server it is taking on average 37.2 seconds an increase of 25 seconds.

I have also updated the RDP client to version 7, Update .net framework to Version 4, disabled advanced printing and spooled the printing direct to the printer. None have made a difference to the print speed.

Please can you offer any further suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 12:45 PM
  • Opened a support case with Microsoft, as soon as the issue is resolved I will let you know what we did.
    Friday, July 16, 2010 10:52 AM
  • Turned out to be a driver issue on the client. Using the built in windows driver for the printer reduced print speeds dramatically.

If you are having this issue I would suggest trying a few different print drivers on the client side and see which one gives you the best performance.

Monday, July 19, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Just an update. Tried to change the drivers on another machine and it made no difference to the printing time. In the end I set the Group Policy for the Easy Print driver to Disabled. Then installed the actual print driver on the server. This increased printing time dramtically. Also in the event the correct printer drivers are not installed on the server it uses the Easy Print drivers by default.

Microsoft have passed this issue onto the .Net team. I will let you know the answer as soon as I hear from them.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:59 PM
  • I am seeing a very similar slow printing issue in my RD 2008 R2 farm.  In my case, the speed using Easy Print seems to be dramatically slower when going through the RD Gateway.  Are you using an RD gateway and if so, have you tested the speed when not using the gateway?  I am definitely looking forward to hearing what MS has to say about your issue, so please keep us posted.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:21 PM
  • The 2008 Easy Print driver is not suitable for use over most Wide-Area-Networks.   Because it generates an XPS file for every print job and then transfers that file to the client for printer output, it ends up needing to send much more data across the network than what would otherwise be sent if Easy Print is not used.   So given the same network bandwidth, an Easy Print print job will take much longer than printing to a redirected Terminal Server printer using the old-fashioned method.   Easy Print is great if all of your clients are on the same high-speed network (e.g., a LAN).   But if you have clients across a WAN, unless you have a very high-bandwidth WAN, Easy Print is just not a good choice due to its slow print speeds.

Sunday, August 01, 2010 2:48 AM
  • Reducing the number of fonts in the document would also help. The fewer the number of fonts, the better and the faster for Easy Print RDS.
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:52 AM
  • Thanks for the advise. The size of the print job is not an issue as the job spooled size is only 400Kb. That is on the server and client side. The office has a good connection and only a few users so bandwith is not an issue.

Microsoft have recommended I added another hotfix to the server KB article 982526. I did this and reboot the server but the speed did not change.

I will let you know what else Microsoft recommend, I have installed the printer drivers directly onto the TS for the office users and the speed is almost instant so I have reverted to that for now.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Hi! I´ve got the same problem, did you get any answer?

If I chose, print to file, I get a 586k .XPS file locally on my client, and it transfers to my client in a few seconds. When I open that file in my .XPS viewer and choose "print" - It takes about 30 minutes to print 9 pages, and its about 200Mb to print.....

It makes no sense....

Any ideas?

/Oscar

Friday, January 14, 2011 3:41 PM
  • Hi Everyone!

Any solutions for this problem? Otherwise I think I'll turn off the Easy Print, seems that is not good at all for WAN printing.

Friday, March 25, 2011 5:19 AM
  • We are experiencing the same issue via a RD Gateway also, the hotfixes do not seem to make any difference so we would be very interested in a fix.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 12:17 PM
  • We are experiencing slow printing as well as slow overall performance when accessing our new Dell TS Server 2008 64 bit system.  I have up to 25 users accessing one Accounting application with XP, Vista and Windows 7 and most of them report slow performance and even slower printing.  The odd thing is that the speed issue is quite intermittant.  One day I can connect and everything works very well and the next I am waiting for screen refreshes lasting up to 2 minutes.  Our ISP provides 10MB up and 2MB download speed and I have been told that this should handle all of our users.  On the days when the system seems slow I go to www.speedtest.net and find that there is no real speed loss from what we are supposed to get.  When accessing the server via LAN vs WAN we do not have any speed issues at all.  Also, we have several WAN users in Ontario (where our server resides) and they do not seem to have an issue however, the users in BC, Alberta and Washington State are all complaining about the speed, especially the printing which can take up to 10 minutes to print a 1 page pdf. 

I have searched the internet and I see that the "slow printing with TS 2008 server" is a common topic but with no real solution.   The computer technician I used to deal with is no longer available and I need some help with this issue as it is costing us time and energy where we can't really spend it.  Microsoft must be aware of this issue because it is all over the internet.  I would really appreciate some help with this.  Thanks.

Monday, June 13, 2011 1:25 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same thing. What used to take a few seconds to print, can take minutes or even HOURS! And these are small jobs...less than a few mbs.

After deplying the farm, i'm also seeing HUGE performance issues on the RDS Farm servers as well. Processor and RAM utilization are down below 10% at ALL times (2 socket, quad core, hyper threded...so 16 cores...with GOBS of RAM in 3 servers with about 50 users on them)

I'd really like to see a solution from MS since we're not alone here. It's a widespread issue for RDS. So far I have yet to see any improvements from the old style terminal services and in fact have had far more headaches.

Friday, August 26, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Same here, we have people always complaining about the slow printing peformance on Win2k8 R2 RDP.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winserverTS/thread/662222c2-7a58-49a8-924b-8b0ca9305627

I did try to create the flowcontroldisable key last night and will post if I find any difference.

Friday, September 09, 2011 1:45 PM
  • Did you see any difference in print speed after adding the FlowControlDisable key? 

We have a 7 host RDS farm and are seeing the same issue with printing in EasyPrint.  It shows up with print jobs within the LAN (still slower than 2003 TS or Citrix) but the slowdown really becomes evident when using EasyPrint over the WAN links to our remote sites. 

4-page PDF documents can take 30 minutes to print.  Unfortunately we have a wide assortment of printer drivers so installing all of them on the RDS servers is going to be a pain, but it looks to be our only option at this point.

Please let me know if anything else is discovered that aids the print speeds through RDS (2008 R2).

Thanks.
    David

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:19 PM
  • I'm also having the same problem.

When I order prints through the Easy Print, documents created in WordPad, even print test pages, conclude very quickly.

But printing from our ERP software, which Terminal Services in Windows Server 2003 before with direct printing over VPN took 20-30 seconds now take 5-10 minutes.

Http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=954743 The article has nothing to do with the problem we are experiencing, because the. Net Framework is 3.5.1 SP1, and also already have installed 4.0, and our workstations are Windows 7 (which this patch does not apply).

I do not understand how Microsoft does not evaluate this issue head on in order to solve the problem of many of its customers.

Hopefully someone at Microsoft to take courage and tell us a solution.

Magnum Foletto
    Omega Tecnologia
    www.omegatecnologia.com

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:33 PM
  • This thread started on  July 14, 2010 and it still has not been fixed...  I recently deployed a new "faster" Server 2008 R2 server specifically running remote desktop services.  I have users on different continents and the people far away with mediocre internet connections wait 10-30 minutes to print basic documents.

Hello Microsoft it is 2012 and we would all like printing to be at least similar in speed to what it was 10 years ago... 

I've tried updating Windows, .net, printer drivers on server and client systems.  What sort of problems would I encounter if I disable Easy Print?  Better question, how do I disable Easy Print?

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:36 PM
  • We actually just stopped using easy print. When we went back to the driver-based installs, everything immediately worked as it should.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Yes whats millercepbs said is correct. Install matching printer drivers on the terminal server and set the group policy to use that and fall back to remote desktop easy print drivers. That will speed up printing dramatically.

However what I am experiencing with the above solution is for those big multifunction printers (FujiXerox 4470 or Lanier MPC5502A) with finishers, or stapling units, these functionalities doesnt get passed through even with latest identical drivers installed on both client and server. Surprisingly Remote Desktop Easy Print driver works but printing is slow. Would appreciate if anyone who has done this got it to work share their solution.

Wednesday, March 06, 2013 1:55 AM