none
Cannot manage computers through "Active Directory Users and Computers"

Question

• I am able to successfully add and remove computers from our domain, but I receive the following error when I try to right-click on a computer and choose "Manage":

---------------------------
    Computer Management
    Computer \\IO200801A cannot be managed. (null)

Choose 'Connect to another computer' from the Action menu to manage a different computer.
    OK  

However, I am able to manage the computer that I am currently logged in to.  

What do I need to enable on the other computers in order to make them manageable?   Why does the error I receive include the word (null)?  What does that mean?  
    Thursday, November 06, 2008 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi RyboFlavin76,

Q: What do I need to enable on the other computers in order to make them manageable? Why does the error I receive include the word (null)?  What does that mean? 

A: The error message "Computer \\IO200801A cannot be managed. (null)" can be occurred due to the several reasons.

Reason1. Network traffic is block between the DC and the client.

Troubleshooting steps:

Please check if you can ping though IP address of the client from the DC.

Reason2. The Computer name IO200801A cannot be resolved into IP address on the domain controller. The computer which you want to manage remotely may be not register it hostname on the DNS server, in this way, when you right-click a computer object and try to 'Manage' it, the system cannot resolve the computer name into IP address which result in the failure to locate the computer. In other words, "Null" means the IO200801A cannot be located.

Troubleshooting steps:

Please check if the A record of IO200801A exists in the Forward lookup zone of the domain on the DNS server. If not, please manually add it on the DNS so that the DC can resolve the computer name and locate it.

Reason3. The error message "got an error (null)" also will appear when the Windows Firewall is enabled on the problematic client IO200801A, which will make the client block all the inbound connection. In this way, "NULL" means the remote administration network traffic is block by the Windows Firewall on the Client.

Troubleshooting steps:

To resolve this issue, you may refer to the following steps to allow Remote Administration inbound connection on the client.

Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Change Settings -> Select "Exceptions" tab to select the checkbox of "Remote Administration" in the list -> OK

Please note: the settings will allow the remote administration inbound connection traffic on the Client.

Please also check if there is any firewall enabled to block remote administration between the DC and the Clients, this issue will be also occurred. If so, please enable remote administration on the firewall.

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, November 10, 2008 4:18 AM
    Friday, November 07, 2008 4:45 AM

All replies

• Hi RyboFlavin76,

Q: What do I need to enable on the other computers in order to make them manageable? Why does the error I receive include the word (null)?  What does that mean? 

A: The error message "Computer \\IO200801A cannot be managed. (null)" can be occurred due to the several reasons.

Reason1. Network traffic is block between the DC and the client.

Troubleshooting steps:

Please check if you can ping though IP address of the client from the DC.

Reason2. The Computer name IO200801A cannot be resolved into IP address on the domain controller. The computer which you want to manage remotely may be not register it hostname on the DNS server, in this way, when you right-click a computer object and try to 'Manage' it, the system cannot resolve the computer name into IP address which result in the failure to locate the computer. In other words, "Null" means the IO200801A cannot be located.

Troubleshooting steps:

Please check if the A record of IO200801A exists in the Forward lookup zone of the domain on the DNS server. If not, please manually add it on the DNS so that the DC can resolve the computer name and locate it.

Reason3. The error message "got an error (null)" also will appear when the Windows Firewall is enabled on the problematic client IO200801A, which will make the client block all the inbound connection. In this way, "NULL" means the remote administration network traffic is block by the Windows Firewall on the Client.

Troubleshooting steps:

To resolve this issue, you may refer to the following steps to allow Remote Administration inbound connection on the client.

Control Panel -> Windows Firewall -> Change Settings -> Select "Exceptions" tab to select the checkbox of "Remote Administration" in the list -> OK

Please note: the settings will allow the remote administration inbound connection traffic on the Client.

Please also check if there is any firewall enabled to block remote administration between the DC and the Clients, this issue will be also occurred. If so, please enable remote administration on the firewall.

Hope it helps.

David Shen - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, November 10, 2008 4:18 AM
    Friday, November 07, 2008 4:45 AM
  • I have managed to solve the problem by editing host file.

Solution: Enter IP address and Machine Name in to the Host file and Voilla...You are laughing

This solved my problem, Hopefully it will solve yours too, Keep us posted, Ta

Dell PE6850, 4 Dual Core Duo Xeon 3.2gh Processors 16 GB ECC Ram Windows Server 2012 Datacenter (Evaluation Version)

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 9:40 AM