none
Replica downstream server on a different domain and managing clients on that domain

Question

•  Hi There,

I have 2 different domains, UK & US.

Upstream server in the US. We want to setup a replica downstream server in the UK.

However, can we do the following:

1. View the UK clients on the upstream server in the US. Move these UK clients to groups on this US server and approve updates to them.
    2. Will the UK clients download the updates from the UK downstream server? How do we do this?
    3. Can we set the downstream server to download the approved updates from Microsoft Updates, instead of the upstream server, to save on bandwidth usage?

I' m new to WSUS, so please forgive my ignorance :)

Many thanks!

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:24 PM

Answers

• so once I setup my UK downstream server, I will be able to see the UK clients on the US main server, move them into groups and approves updates for those groups, all on the US server?

Again:you can't move the downstream clients into groups in the US upstream server.To select what computer clients belong to on the downstream server is downstream server job.

Here is a Replica mode (centralized administration) instructions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939820(v=ws.10).aspx

Do I have the correct sequence below, or is my understanding of this wrong?

Correct.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Ravsingh39 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:15 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1.Viewing the UK clients on the upstream server in the US is ok.But you can't move these UK clients on this US server.You can manage the downstream server through wsus admin console if you have the downstream WSUS admin privilege.

2.Yes.  Point your clients on your UK sites to the UK downstream server through GPO.

3.Yes.  Set in the Options- Update files and Language - Select Download files from MU;do not download from upstream server.

To better understand all, you need to walk through WSUS 3.0 SP2 Step By Step Guide:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939822(v=ws.10).aspx

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:13 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. It has brought up some additional questions that the WSUS 3.0 SP2 Step By Step does not mention in detail.

On the US upstream server, I have Computer Groups that contain the US computers.

1. On the UK downstream server, will I be allowed to create new Computer Groups to move the UK computers into, via the US WSUS admin console?
    2. Will I see the UK Computer Groups from the US Upstream server admin console, and be able to approve the updates for these UK groups?

Thanks!

Monday, February 20, 2012 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

1. Nope,  its impossible to create computer groups on replica server (UK), you must create computer groups on your main WSUS (US), replica server  inherits the update approvals and computer groups created on its parent WSUS administration server. (or you can use  UK WSUS as autonomous DSS, and create groups on it) 

2. So, as I said in 1. on your US server you can view all groups and approve updates for each group.

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:42 PM
  • OK, so once I setup my UK downstream server, I will be able to see the UK clients on the US main server, move them into groups and approves updates for those groups, all on the US server?

The GPO in the UK domain points the UK clients to the UK downstream server.

The UK downstream server talks to the main US server (which is on a differnent domain), which can then see all clients (US & UK).

UK clients can be moved to Computer Groups created on the US Main Server and updates approved for these Computer Groups.

The UK clients download their updates from the UK downstream server according to update approvals and computer groups created on its parent WSUS US administration server.

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:01 PM
  • so once I setup my UK downstream server, I will be able to see the UK clients on the US main server, move them into groups and approves updates for those groups, all on the US server?

Again:you can't move the downstream clients into groups in the US upstream server.To select what computer clients belong to on the downstream server is downstream server job.

Here is a Replica mode (centralized administration) instructions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd939820(v=ws.10).aspx

Correct.

• Marked as answer by Ravsingh39 Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:15 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:29 AM