none
sysvol and netlogon share folder windows 2008 r2

Question

• dear frinds

i recently added a new a domain controller for the same domain we have and it was windows 2008 R2, and i used the adprep tool to prepare the forest and the domain before i install the new domain, after finishing everthing seems to be fine but now and after 2 days of installing the new domain our exchange cannt send email to some domains, after a long researches i end up with nothing anyhow i figure maybe the replecation is the problem so i checked the sysvol and netlogon share folder on the new added domain controller and i didnt find them as a share and when ever i open the share files on the new server its blanck, but when i went to windows\sysvol it was thier but cant see it in the share, so as long as i remember i should see both folders shared i mean the sysvol and netlogon in order for the replication to happen

another thing i notice it whenever i try to start the NTFRS service from the command using net start ntfrs it says system error 1058 has occurred

and i read from other questions to run net share and i did but i didnt get the sysvol and netlogon as shared and this was the result

C:\>net share

Share name   Resource                        Remark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C$           C:\                             Default share

IPC$                                         Remote IPC

ADMIN$       C:\Windows                      Remote Admin

The command completed successfully.

so what do u think guys

thank you

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 10:14 AM

All replies

• You did install the feature NTFRS on the 2008 box  which is used in 2003 domains to perform sysvol replication? After you have raised your domain functional level to 2008 you can user dfrs which is better then the "old" NTFRS. If you don't not add this then the 2008 box will not be able to perform FRS with the other 2003 DC's

Any errors when performing the repadmin /showreps?

Edit:

It's under the role file services - add role services - windows server 2003 file services (file replication service)

Thursday, July 29, 2010 9:05 AM
  • well i dont have windows 2003 at all my main domain controller is windows 2008 standred and the new domain is windows 2008 R2 entrprise, and i know that dfrs is better than the ntfrs but i just dont know how to use it yet,, now the result of your command was 

C:\Users\administrator.CFB>repadmin /showreps

Default-First-Site-Name\CFBROOT1

DSA Options: IS_GC

Site Options: (none)

DSA object GUID: 122fd76a-ab40-41cf-903a-3ff25c692ca1

DSA invocationID: 0d26372e-36ad-490e-92cf-2f06bbc75b1f

==== INBOUND NEIGHBORS ======================================

DC=cfb,DC=com

PNU\PNUAD via RPC

DSA object GUID: b8dd46aa-c0b9-419d-9f1d-8ebccad4beb3

Last attempt @ 2010-08-02 18:55:59 was successful.

CN=Configuration,DC=cfb,DC=com

PNU\PNUAD via RPC

CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=cfb,DC=com

PNU\PNUAD via RPC

DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=cfb,DC=com

PNU\PNUAD via RPC

Last attempt @ 2010-08-02 18:56:00 was successful.

DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=cfb,DC=com

PNU\PNUAD via RPC

Last attempt @ 2010-08-02 18:56:00 was successful.

as you see everything look ok, but still i cant see the sysvol and netlogon folders as a shared folder on the new domain controller

reminder: the originl domain controller is windows 2008 standard and the new DC is windows 2008 R2 enterprise

Monday, August 02, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Are you able to access your sysvol and netlogon folder via \\domain-name\ ?

Kind regards, Neirynck Davy - MCTS
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 8:35 AM
  • this is my main question actually why i cannt access the sysvol or net logon,

so to answer clear

when i open \\dc1\   o can find the usual sysvol and netlogon folders and this is my original DC which is windows 2008

but when i open \\dc2\ its empty and i cant find anything on the folder and this is my new domain controller which is windows 2008 r2

thank you for your help

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 10:43 AM
  • guys any guess how i can solve this??
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:50 PM
  • guys any guess how i can solve this??
    Tuesday, August 03, 2010 1:50 PM
  • would it work if i demote then promote the server
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 9:10 AM
  • I'm not sure, do you see any DFS replication errors in event log of the 2 servers? I would suspect the second one shows up wrap-errors. Demoting and promoting is an option, but again replication is done by 2 ways, you have the standard replication between domain controllers and you have replication of sysvol which is a total different topology and technology.

I would search further for any other errors before demoting and promoting unless you can asure that nothing important is running on that second one. Be sure to transfer FSMO roles before demoting.

Kind regards, Neirynck Davy - MCTS
    Wednesday, August 04, 2010 9:43 AM
  • Hi Guys,

I am having the the same problem as the OP.  A new dc (windows 2008 R2) was added.  I am very certain I have carried out all relevant steps to promote the server.  My domain has an existing windows 2003 server with the DC and DNS role (I don't intend to demote this).
    The actual folders in windows\sysvol is there but the sysvol subfolder is not shared.  Within the sysvol folder is a sub folder with a name that corresponds to the internal domain name and that subfolder is empty.

At the moment everything is working appears to be working fine.  All windows services are running.  Obviously there are event logs errors under File Replication services:

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from WIN2K3DC to WIN2K8DC for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name server2.efood1.local. FRS will keep retrying.

Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name win2k3dc.domain-name.local from this computer.

[2] FRS is not running on win2k3.domain-name.local.

[3] The topology information in the Active Directory Domain Services for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.

I can see all servers/site in AD site and services.  I can resolve to the Win2k3dc server from the 2008 R2 server.  FRS is definately running.  I have rebooted the 2008 server serveral times.  I configured the shares manually but nothing got replicated. 

The Windows 2003 DC has these event log errors under FRS however this error has been reoccuring since 2006.  I only just added the new Windows 2008 R2 server in October 2010.

The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

Replica set name is : "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)"

Replica root path is : "c:\windows\sysvol\domain"

Replica root volume is : "\\.\C:"

A Replica set hits JRNL_WRAP_ERROR when the record that it is trying to read from the NTFS USN journal is not found. This can occur because of one of the following reasons.

1] Volume "\\.\C:" has been formatted.

[2] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been deleted.

[3] The NTFS USN journal on volume "\\.\C:" has been truncated. Chkdsk can truncate the journal if it finds corrupt entries at the end of the journal.

[4] File Replication Service was not running on this computer for a long time.

[5] File Replication Service could not keep up with the rate of Disk IO activity on "\\.\C:".

Setting the "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore" registry parameter to 1 will cause the following recovery steps to be taken to automatically recover from this error state.

[1] At the first poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be deleted from the replica set. If you do not want to wait 5 minutes, then run "net stop ntfrs" followed by "net start ntfrs" to restart the File Replication Service.

[2] At the poll following the deletion this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set.

WARNING: During the recovery process data in the replica tree may be unavailable. You should reset the registry parameter described above to 0 to prevent automatic recovery from making the data unexpectedly unavailable if this error condition occurs again.

To change this registry parameter, run regedit.

Click on Start, Run and type regedit.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Click down the key path:

"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters"

Double click on the value name

"Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"

and update the value.

If the value name is not present you may add it with the New->DWORD Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value name exactly as shown above.

Should I edit the registry on the Win2k3dc server to resolve the "JRNL_WRAP_ERROR" first?

Thursday, December 02, 2010 4:20 AM
  • Did you guys figure this out?  I am having the exact problem.  I have spent two days trying to figure it out with no go!  J_R_W I have the exact problem what did you do to fix it?

The File Replication Service is having trouble enabling replication from domainname to EXCH01 for c:\windows\sysvol\domain using the DNS name srv2.domainname. FRS will keep retrying.

Following are some of the reasons you would see this warning.

[1] FRS can not correctly resolve the DNS name srv2.domainname.com from this computer.

[2] FRS is not running on srv2.domainname.com.

[3] The topology information in the Active Directory Domain Services for this replica has not yet replicated to all the Domain Controllers.

This event log message will appear once per connection, After the problem is fixed you will see another event log message indicating that the connection has been established.

Log Name:      DNS Server

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Server-Service

Date:          8/22/2011 6:22:15 PM

Event ID:      4013

Task Category: None

Level:         Warning

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      Exch01.domainname.com

Description:

The DNS server is waiting for Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) to signal that the initial synchronization of the directory has been completed. The DNS server service cannot start until the initial synchronization is complete because critical DNS data might not yet be replicated onto this domain controller. If events in the AD DS event log indicate that there is a problem with DNS name resolution, consider adding the IP address of another DNS server for this domain to the DNS server list in the Internet Protocol properties of this computer. This event will be logged every two minutes until AD DS has signaled that the initial synchronization has successfully completed.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DNS-Server-Service" Guid="{71A551F5-C893-4849-886B-B5EC8502641E}" EventSourceName="DNS" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32768">4013</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-23T01:22:15.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>39</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />

<Channel>DNS Server</Channel>

<Computer>Exch01.oilbank.com</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData Name="DNS_EVENT_DS_OPEN_WAIT">

</EventData>

</Event>

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 4:40 AM
  • I've got the same scenario. What was done to get SYSVOL and NETLOGON appearing?
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 2:58 PM
  • Another chiming in...I have the same problem as well! Any resolution to this?
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 7:54 PM
  • I had a similar scenario - Server 2003 DC, added server 2008 r2, no Sysvol or Netlogon on server 2008,

found an error in server2003 FRS event log;

The File Replication Service has detected that the replica set

"DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" is in JRNL_WRAP_ERROR.

The registry fix referenced in the server 2003 FRS event log cured the problem.

Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    Click down the key path:
       "System\CurrentControlSet\Services\NtFrs\Parameters"
    Double click on the value name
       "Enable Journal Wrap Automatic Restore"
    and update the value.  (to one)

If the value name is not present you may add it with the New-
    DWORD Value function under the Edit Menu item. Type the value
    name exactly as shown above.
    Monday, January 16, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Did anyone check whether the above mentioned solved the problem?
    Monday, February 13, 2012 11:57 PM
  • I have got same scenario,  at this time i depromt my 2008 server as member server, waiting to get success result answer.

MaST MaX

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:56 AM
  • I had a similar problem. My problem DC was a virtual  2008 (non R2). My two other DCs (1- virtual 2008 R2 and 1 - virtual 2003) have always played together nicely. At some point the problem DC stopped replicating. I became aware of this after creating login scripts used to map user drives. On occasion, some users would complain that their drives were not there upon logging in.

Turns out that their workstation was authenticating against the problem DC. I wanted to fix the problem and not just manually copy the login scripts (changes to GPOs were also not being replicated). I tried everything I could. Finally demoted the DC and ran DCPROMO a second time. This time, replication worked! SYSVOL and policies.

Just remember to give it at least 5-15 minutes once the new DC is in place before testing replication for the 1st time. This is especially true if your domain is one of many within your organization. Otherwise, you may be lead to think that replication was not fixed.

Monday, April 16, 2012 3:39 PM