none
Can't bring Network Name on line

Question

• Can't bring Network Name on line

Cannot cannect to configuration database error was shown when trying to access site.

Checking I found Suddenly clustering isn't function. When I look at the dependency report, the Network Name is
    offline but its IP address is online and pingable.

The event viewer shows several of the following:

==============
    Event ID: 1205; The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or
    application 'Cluster Group' completely online or offline. One or more
    resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the
    clustered service or application.

==================
    Event ID: 1069; Cluster resource 'Cluster Name' in clustered service or
    application 'Cluster Group' failed.

==================
    Event ID: 1207; Cluster network name resource 'printserver' cannot be
    brought online. The computer object associated with the resource could not be
    updated in domain 'domainname.com' for the following reason:
    Unable to obtain the Primary Cluster Name Identity token.

The text for the associated error code is: An attempt has been made to
    operate on an impersonation token by a thread that is not currently
    impersonating a client.

The cluster identity 'SPSERVERCLUS$' may lack permissions required to
    update the object. Please work with your domain administrator to ensure that
    the cluster identity can update computer objects in the domain.

==========
    Event ID: 1205; The Cluster service failed to bring clustered service or
    application 'Cluster Group' completely online or offline. One or more
    resources may be in a failed state. This may impact the availability of the
    clustered service or application.

Environment: Windows SQL Server 2008 R2.

Did any updates created and issue?

Checked DNS name is mapped to correct IP address.

AD has no expired credentials.

Surprisingly when turned 1 DB OFF, we can connect to site but still this error persist.

I've been googling this for a while, but haven't found a solution.

Please recommend the appropriate forum for this.I'd
    appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Thanks and Regards, Parth

• Moved by Iric Wen Friday, March 23, 2012 7:27 AM (From:SQL Server Disaster Recovery and Availability)
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:49 PM

Answers

• This is totally outside the cluster management.  This happens a lot with clusters.  Someone "cleans up" Active Directory, usually with some automatic tool, and deletes key entries for clustering.  In Windows 8, the cluster elements login to their AD objects on a much more frequent basis to prevent this from happening.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:58 PM
  • You need to get with somebody in your organization who can recover or replace the missing Active Directory components.  Until these components are replaced or fixed, you will not be able to bring the cluster online.  Please check AD for the CNO and VNO objects. If they are not there, you must follow the articles linked above.  There is nothing you can do "inside" the cluster to repair an Active Directory issue.

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hello Parth,

Can you please upload the cluster logs.

thanks and regards

Shamik

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Hi Shamik,

Those Event logs are already posted from cluster log only 1205,1207, 1069. Any other logs you are talking about or need?

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:31 PM
  • From one of the nodes of the cluster, open a Command Prompt with Administrator rights.  The simplest command to create the log is to type “cluster log /g”.  A clusterl.log file will be generated and stored in the %windir%\Cluster\Reports directory on each node of the cluster.  Note that with all commands you can use either “cluster … ” or “cluster.exe …” as they have the same functionality.

regards
    Shamik

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:39 PM
  • Looks like somebody "cleaned up" Active Directory and removed some necessary cluster objects.  If you AD administrator enabled the AD recycle bin, you can "undelete" the Cluster Name Object (CNO) for the cluster and the Virtual Name Object (VNO) associated with the clustered instance.  If not, then it gets tricky.

The following two posts from the cluster team will walk you through recovering deleted objects.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2009/04/27/recovering-a-deleted-cluster-name-object-cno-in-a-windows-server-2008-failover-cluster.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2011/05/18/recovering-a-deleted-cluster-name-object-cno-in-a-windows-server-2008-failover-cluster-part-2.aspx

Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi Shamik,

I ran the Cluster log report but the above command gave me some error "CLUSTER/?" but got it through UI.

Please let me know exactly where n what will be needed to research for the issue. As i went through report it states same error in Yellow and Red color that Resource group is OFFLINE please check event logs and cluster logs.

Moreover, my Quorum keep shuttling from one server to another and the server which is hosting all disks quorum I need to start SQL SERVER/AGENT [MSSQLSERVER] manually in Services.exe and I can connect to Database engine.

Is it OK to upload the Log from security point?

Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:41 PM
  • You need to get with somebody in your organization who can recover or replace the missing Active Directory components.  Until these components are replaced or fixed, you will not be able to bring the cluster online.  Please check AD for the CNO and VNO objects. If they are not there, you must follow the articles linked above.  There is nothing you can do "inside" the cluster to repair an Active Directory issue.

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Thanks Geoff,

I will escalate the matter and hope to get it resolved.

I also wanted to make sure is that something which I would have screwed up? I did configured the maintenance plan the last time I did touched the DB servers but that wasn't any things unusual I did there.

Thanks for your time and efforts all.

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:57 PM
  • This is totally outside the cluster management.  This happens a lot with clusters.  Someone "cleans up" Active Directory, usually with some automatic tool, and deletes key entries for clustering.  In Windows 8, the cluster elements login to their AD objects on a much more frequent basis to prevent this from happening.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:58 PM
  • Hi,

I saw this post and was wondering what the solution for it was.  I think the same thing happened, the objects were deleted from AD and we did not have a backup of them.

I have the exact same error, the Network Name of the cluster is offline, but the IP is online and pingable.

I checked and the AD objects are created, online and pingable.  And the Cluster name has full control of the 2 computer objects.  Is there any suggestions or links that I can do to fix these objects.  

Sunday, October 28, 2012 1:11 PM
  • Hi, Actually we tried fixing many different ways but the thing which worked was Built-in recovery Processes. Computer object that represents the CNO was deleted, you will no longer be able to create the computer objects associated with cluster CAPs.

First, you must engage a Domain Administrator to recover the deleted computer object from the DeletedObjects container in Active Directory. Then, after the object has been restored and re-enabled, you execute the Repair Active Directory Object process in the Failover Cluster Management snap-in.

there was a possibility that the cluster configuration file located in the %systemroot%\cluster subdirectory would become corrupted and then have to be replaced. In Failover Clusters, the self-healing capability can help. If the cluster service starts on a node and the configuration database is corrupted, a minimal configuration template will be loaded using information contained in the HKLM\System\CCS\Services\ClusSvc\Parameters registry key. The node will attempt to join an already formed cluster and, if this attempt is successful, a fresh copy of the cluster registry hive will be pushed to the node. If a node cannot join a cluster, the cluster service will be terminated.

Hope that can be helpful!

Monday, October 29, 2012 11:41 PM