none
Partition Size Limitation

Question

•  What is the maximum partition size allowable for Server 2008 x32 using NTFS? Is it 2 TB ?
    • Edited by Dave_B3 Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:32 PM add architectue spec
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 6:22 PM

Answers

•  Well, considering there was no such limitation in Server 2003, I imagine there wouldn't be such a limitation in 2008.  If you convert your disk to a GPT (GUID Partition Table) then the limit is refered to a "a very large size" as I read somewhere.  We currently have many partitions that are greater then 4TB on production machines running Server 2003.

Ed
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:04 AM
  •  

Hi,

Based on my research, for NTFS "The maximum partition size is 2TB. NTFS actually has an upper limit of 16 Exabyte (quintillion bytes, or 16 million TB), but since current industry standard limits the Partition Tables to 2 to the 32nd power sectors (with 512B sectors, that's 2 TB), the actual current upper limit is 2 TB.

However, as for GPT partition, NTRS can support 256T.

More infomramtion, please refer to the artile below:

Windows and GPT FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx

Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:54 AM
  • yes it will

but... stay under the 2TB limit, that is a hard limit, better to create something like 1.45 TB for the last one

rgds,

edwin.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:55 AM

All replies

•  Well, considering there was no such limitation in Server 2003, I imagine there wouldn't be such a limitation in 2008.  If you convert your disk to a GPT (GUID Partition Table) then the limit is refered to a "a very large size" as I read somewhere.  We currently have many partitions that are greater then 4TB on production machines running Server 2003.

Ed
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 4:04 AM
  •  

Hi,

Based on my research, for NTFS "The maximum partition size is 2TB. NTFS actually has an upper limit of 16 Exabyte (quintillion bytes, or 16 million TB), but since current industry standard limits the Partition Tables to 2 to the 32nd power sectors (with 512B sectors, that's 2 TB), the actual current upper limit is 2 TB.

However, as for GPT partition, NTRS can support 256T.

More infomramtion, please refer to the artile below:

Windows and GPT FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT_FAQ.mspx

Hope this helps.

Thursday, June 19, 2008 6:54 AM
  • I want to partition my 2TB drive into 3 NTFS partitions.  Partition 1 will be 250 GB and will boot Windows 7.  Partition 2 will be 250 GB and will boot Windows XP.  Partition 3 will be 1.5TB and will be used to store all of the music, photos, video, documents, etc.  Will Windows 7 and XP recognize the 1.5TB partition on which I would like to store my content?
    Monday, May 17, 2010 8:24 PM
  • yes it will

but... stay under the 2TB limit, that is a hard limit, better to create something like 1.45 TB for the last one

rgds,

edwin.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 11:55 AM
  • Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 3:22 PM