none
Error Loading Operating System

Question

•  H/W  Dell PowerEdge 830

Deploy Windows 2003 with SP2 using Windows Deployment ToolKit 2008 (WDT).

I installed and setup WDT on a Sever and added the Windows 2003 with SP2 OS, Added Out-Of-Box drivers from the Dell Server Management CD that comes with the Dell,  Setup a Task to install the OS.

I added the PXE Boot file to WDS and successfully PXE boot into the wizard.  I am able to connect to the distribution share and start the task.  The task runs through the steps and formats the Drives and starts the installation process.  Server reboots and goes into the Blue Windows Setup screen and you see where it copies files into the C:\Windows directory.  Then it does another reboot.

But this time after all the post information I get the Error Loading Operating System message. 

Any thoughts or Ideas?

Wirrel
    Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:01 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

As this issue may be caused by many factors, I suggest performing the following tests first:

1.    Can we install Windows Server 2003 on this machine using a retail Windows Server 2003 disk?

2.    Can we install Windows Server 2003 if we create a DVD media deployment point instead of a boot image for WDS?

3.    Can we install Windows Server 2003 if we only add necessary steps such as formatting and partitioning in Task Sequencer?

Please confirm you have added all necessary drivers such as hard drive drivers during the installation.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:53 AM
  • I was finally able to get a new Server Build and Update Utility iso from Dell.  I deleted all the drivers in my out-of-Box driver node and then re-added from the SBUU and everything appears to be working with that particular machine now. 

Wirrel
    • Marked as answer by JeffC72 Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by JeffC72 Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Tim QuanModerator Monday, October 06, 2008 2:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JeffC72 Tuesday, October 14, 2008 2:40 PM
    Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:02 PM
  • Ok Apparently the SBUU does something because when I cleared the raid and reconfigured the drives and tried to deploy again I once more get the Error Loading Operating System. 

If I install using the Dell SBUU disk and then do a deployment everything works fine.  In my deployment I have it reformat the drives and setup a C, D, and E drive.  For the life of me I cannot figure out why it works after using SBUU to install once yet from a fresh raid configuration it doesn't work.

Wirrel
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 12:06 PM
  •  

Hi,

This can be caused by the drivers.

As we are not familiar with the Server Build and Update Utility provided by Dell, you’d better contact Dell for more information.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, October 01, 2008 3:24 AM
  • Hello,
    This looks like it could be the issue in this article:
    931761 You cannot install Windows Server 2003 successfully after you use Windows Vista or Windows PE 2.0 to create partitions on a hard disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931761

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, October 02, 2008 1:20 AM
  • Ok a little confused on that article 931761 because which registry am I modifying.  The registry on the WDT server, or the registry that is part of the Windows P.E. environment? 

As for the System Build Update Utility it contains all the drivers for the dell servers we have.  Those drivers were added into the repository of WDT.  The disk can also be used to boot up the server and install windows 2003 by creating an unattended script.  It also has a raid setup feature.  I have contacted Dell and waiting for reply back but initially responses indicate they are not familiar with WDT. 

Wirrel
    Thursday, October 02, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Hello,
    This would appear to the WinPE 2.0 Registry.  It's setting the partitioning behavior back to the way they were created in Windows Server 2003.  The partitioning I gather is done when booted into WinPE, so that should be the registry that is currently loaded.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, October 03, 2008 1:49 AM
  • I will give it a try and see if I can figure out how to edit the registry for the PE boot environment.  Not sure how though since WDT is creating the Win PE boot disk.
    Wirrel
    Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:15 PM
  • I downloaded hotfix WindowsServer2003-KB931761-x86-ENU.exe and integrated it into the source files.

attempted to install once more and still get the same error.

I do not know how to edit the registry of the liteTouchpe_x86.wim that is used for booting the systems so I cannot attempt method 2 of the work around. 

Any other help out there?

Wirrel
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:39 PM
  • Make sure that if you have a Dell Remote Access Card (DRAC) that the Virtual Media is disabled. During the boot process, you will be prompted to Press Cntrl-D or something similar, go into that and disable the Virtual Media. After the OS installation is complete, you can turn it back on. 
    Friday, October 24, 2008 10:36 PM
  • Server does not have a remote access card.  We have tested on some Dell 1650 and 1750 servers without issue.  So it looks like the problem is currently Isolated to the Dell 830 and 840 systems.  Still trying to figure out this particular issue though.

Wirrel
    Monday, January 05, 2009 3:34 PM