none
Methods for Automating Hyper-V Administration via a Web front-end.

Question

• I have been playing with Hyper-V RC-0 and I am very impressed so far, I have also started to explore Power Shell and some example WMI scripts. Everything seems like it has massive potential and I love the control Power Shell seems to give me, which leads me to my question…  This is a very broad topic, but what are the available design options for developing a web based control panel to automate the provision and administration of Hyper-V virtual machines?  This could be with or without Virtual Machine Manager and let’s assume the question is language agnostic.

I have my own ideas after reading the Hyper-V WMI documentation, but what are other people’s opinions on the available options for having a web front-end talk to Hyper-V or Virtual Machine Manager.

Thanks.

Friday, May 16, 2008 2:22 PM

Answers

• SCVMM and Hyper-V interfaces are different.  And the sky is the limit - if you have the coding ability you should be able to do it all (this is theory that you can test).

Hyper-V is all WMI based management.  SCVMM 2008 (and 2007) gives you an entire set of Powershell cmdlets - that use the SCVMM server for execution and control.

This is two different levels.  No different than the VMware Virtual Center vs. ESX model.  You can do things at both levels.

SCVMM gives you more functions, Hyper-V can do all of those functions, but you have to perform more of the steps yourself.

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:29 PM
  • I think that a web-based admin tool is quite useful when you're working on the other side of the firewall and want to connect to your internal systems. With standard admin tools, I'd need to justify requests to open RPC ports on the firewall with my Security guys and that can take a very long time! Also with a browser, I don't need to install addtional software on my corporate-image-built laptop. So a web front-end is very convenient.

I am aware of an open-source project to build a Web-based interface to Hyper-V. You can check the progress of the work here: Hyper-V Web Manager

Enjoy!

/Dung

Saturday, May 17, 2008 2:12 PM

All replies

• SCVMM and Hyper-V interfaces are different.  And the sky is the limit - if you have the coding ability you should be able to do it all (this is theory that you can test).

Hyper-V is all WMI based management.  SCVMM 2008 (and 2007) gives you an entire set of Powershell cmdlets - that use the SCVMM server for execution and control.

This is two different levels.  No different than the VMware Virtual Center vs. ESX model.  You can do things at both levels.

SCVMM gives you more functions, Hyper-V can do all of those functions, but you have to perform more of the steps yourself.

Friday, May 16, 2008 3:29 PM
  • I must say that I am surprised to see someone advocating a web-based system. Probably the most hated feature of virtual server was the web-based admin console!  

Saturday, May 17, 2008 1:43 AM
  • I think that a web-based admin tool is quite useful when you're working on the other side of the firewall and want to connect to your internal systems. With standard admin tools, I'd need to justify requests to open RPC ports on the firewall with my Security guys and that can take a very long time! Also with a browser, I don't need to install addtional software on my corporate-image-built laptop. So a web front-end is very convenient.

I am aware of an open-source project to build a Web-based interface to Hyper-V. You can check the progress of the work here: Hyper-V Web Manager

Enjoy!

/Dung

Saturday, May 17, 2008 2:12 PM
  • What was it that made you hate it ?  I am not very enthousiastic about command line interfaces, seems like old-fashione to me. Not that I hate them, if its the only way to get the job done :-)
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:08 PM