none
TSAdmin (Terminal Services Manager)

Question

• A rather annoying issue we have with our Windows Server 2008 terminal servers is management with the new TSAdmin tool.

Terminal Services Manager, tsadmin.msc, seems incredibly flakey.  It often stops responding and, more often than not, locks up completely.  On the odd occasion it will automatically close the process and send a log to Microsoft but usually it needs to be manually killed by the user.  The snap-in rarely seems to refresh properly and seems to struggle with log off and reset commands.  Is this something specific to us or are other users experiening similar issues?

Are there any recommended or best practices for it's use?  I have tried it from each of the Terminal Servers (we have seven), a Windows Server 2008 file server and a Windows Server 2008 domain controller but all exhibit the same problems.

Many thanks,

Monday, February 02, 2009 4:16 PM

All replies

• We are experiencing some problems with the tsadmin, especially the refresh option. The tool doesnt crash though, but it seems to have som e difficulty with quering the servers.. You might have a dns issue. We use the mmc snapin (so we can remove the action pane) and import the sessions from the session broker, as long as we refresh enough this works for us..
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 12:27 AM
  • Thanks for the feedback.

Each TS has two interfaces NIC1 (192.168.1.x) and NIC2 (192.168.2.x).  There is only one record for each server in DNS (192.168.1.x) and it is statically created.
    Thursday, February 12, 2009 9:54 AM
  • The tool seems to function better in Windows 2008 R2 SP1. Without SP1 the performance is really bad with 10 servers or more. We are developping our own tool for this use and will publish the link here if the tool is ready.
    Friday, July 27, 2012 8:23 PM
  • I have a farm of 100 RDS Servers and running the tsadmin tool in server 2008 is impossible.  I will run it in a 2003 server and it works fine, but there is a huge issue with this.

If you run tsadmin on a 2003 server to monitor 2008 servers....you need to shut it down when you are finished....DO NOT LEAVE IT RUNNING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME.  It causes a memory leak with LSM (Local Session Manager) and your entire farm will need to be rebooted after a day or two. 

That issue went on for about a year in my environment before microsoft finally figured out what was happening.  So use the 2003 tsadmin, but use it, then shut it down.

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Please do, the RDS admins tool and reporting are terrable.

Friday, July 27, 2012 8:43 PM