none
Crash on Windows 2012 - VM

Question

• Hi

This afternoon while either trying to copy a large ISO or mount it, our server 2012 + sql 2012 vmware server crashed with

When i went back to try to find more out, i found no DMP file on the c: drive.

>> Where does 2012 place info for these type of crashes ?

I did a google and it did not show the answer.

Thanks

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello Greg,
    DUMP files are stored inside %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP (as default - you can check your configuration settings: System Properties => Advanced tab => Startup and Recovery section => Settings...) and %SystemRoot%\Minidump.

You can find a good explanation about memory dump here:

That said, I have some questions for you:

• Did you check inside Event Viewer ?
    • How is your Virtual Machine configured on VMware ?
    • Are you using vmxnet3 network driver ?
    • Does the problem occur when you try to copy any big file or that *.ISO file only ?
    • Are you using an Antivirus with Network Inspection System ?

Did you already read this TechNet Forums thread: "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" message - Repeating Restart Problem.

As I understood your VM boots without any problem but did you already read this VMware KB: Windows 8 / Windows Server 2012 Operating System does not boot or install on ESXi or ESX (2006859)

Bye,
    Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 12, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Thank you Luca for your quick aqnd detailed reply.

To answer some questions :

- Event viewer did not show an event for this (though at 6am i got a warning "a significant part of the sql memory has been paged out")
    - the vmware currently has no reservation on memory and the "reserve all guest memory" box is not ticked
    - it is a v5.1 vcenter system and yes vmxnet3 network driver is in use
    - this was the first time it crashed, so i am too scared to try this again until i know more as i don't want a corrupt system
    (e.g. after the crash, SQL was offline and would not come online, fortunately i had done a live snapsnot just before actions, as i wanted to create a 2nd sql instance, the restore of the live snapshot "repaired" the system)
    - We use the corporate McAfeev8.8
    - There was no minidump folder so i guess it is turned off by default ? and no DMP file

Greg

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:10 PM
  • Hello Greg,
    read this Internet article: Your PC Ran Into A Problem Windows 8 Fix; tasks listed could be applied to Windows Server 2012 too.
    Suggestion:

• Try to copy and/or mapping again your *.ISO file; if it crashes, then does the problem occur with another *.ISO file ?
    • Is your Windows Server 2012 updates (Security & Critical Updates ?)
    • Did you installed McAfee v8.8 patch 3 to support Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 ?
    • Which version on MS SQL are you using ?

Luca

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Luca Fabbri Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:17 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Luca

Subsequent copies of the iso and mount went OK, i ran SQL install repair (sql 2012)

However this had access denied issues, just as sql would no longer run under the default SQL account, had to use localsystem.

Also can't run services ising a domain account, even though account is an admin on server.

Came across this curious article http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/74258/windows-server-2012-splunkd-service-access-denied which refers to an obscure problem with VMs and network cards,
    so i am curious why you asked this above? (NB: it is v5.1 vCenter)

As for the mcafee patch level, i am not sure as the console only shows the v8.8 in the banner and 2 patches and latest definitions (as the image came from IT, i will need to check monday, i.e. it does not specifically say "patch 3")

Thanks again

Sunday, April 14, 2013 2:13 AM
  • Hello,
    please, could you tell me why my answer was marked as abusive ?

Bye,
    Luca

Sunday, April 14, 2013 9:05 AM
  • I have no idea how this could have happened or it was me accidentally as i can't see an owner for it.

I'll add a post for a moderator to remove it.

See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/08ab3eda-05c6-4c4f-8efe-1276c75823a4

The result seems it was not me "It must have been marked by an automatic process by mistake. If you marked the reply, you should be able to unmark it, so you didn't"

If it was i would have an option to undo it which i do not.

rgds greg

Sunday, April 14, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Hello,
    please, could you tell me why my answer was marked as abusive ?

Bye,
    Luca

SPAM filter was the culprit ! I have cleared the abusive flag.

Regards, Santosh

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

Monday, April 15, 2013 2:46 AM
  • Hello,

Can you give a little more detail about the ISO file? Where did it come from? What do you mean copy + mount? Is this a member server?

Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    Web Site | Blog

Monday, April 15, 2013 3:23 AM
  • The ISO was a 4G SQL server 2012 iso

My guess is this was an indirect affect, i.e. the copy used up mapped_file memory which robbered SQL of memory ? 

After the crash the SQL 2012 ISO copied without an issue. Or it was because of some lag for vmware to provide the missing memory to the VM ?

Since this i have taken the precaution of ticking the "reserve all memory" box.

As there was no crash file, i think we will never know what the true reason was.

The egffect of the crash can be seen in post http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/4cafe2f0-9890-4090-8fe0-aaec18822721 

Cheers

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:10 AM
  • Final outcome

Will never know the reason for the crash but running media locally on a VM instead via a mounted ISO
    as well as this http://www.briantist.com/errors/server-2012-vmware-esxi-permissions-errors-removable-storage-auditing/ article, resolved the issue

Cheers

Friday, April 19, 2013 1:41 AM