none
Corrupted IE proxy exception list

Question

• We are pushing out Internet Explorer proxy settings via a GPO and have been for some time.

We have recently encountered a problem with some users getting a truncated list of IE proxy exceptions. See screenshot below. As you can see RSOP indicates that the user should be getting the correct list, but they don't.

Screenshot: http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/7146/screen1zp.png

This problem only occurs on a small number of our computers. It doesn't occur on Windows XP desktops, and only happens on 2 out of 10 Citrix servers.

As you can see from screenshot, the proxy settings that the user picks up are not a substring of the actual correct settings, they are completely different. However we don't have a GPO anywhere that contains those particular settings, I can't figure out where they are coming from.

Doesn't seem to be related to any particular MS/Citrix hotfix as we have servers that have been patched identically, however one will have the problem and one will not.

I'm completely baffled by this. I have tried taking a user account out of every single existing GPO, creating a new GPO that just contains the IE proxy settings, and the problem still occurs. As mentioned above it doesn't happen consistently, a user could happily have the correct settings for 5 hours, and then these other settings will suddenly pop up. As you can see from the screenshot, RSOP and also the GPMC's modelling wizard indicates that the correct settings are being applied. Also, it only happens on certain machines are not others (no differences in per-machine group policy settings).

Thursday, April 01, 2010 11:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Are there more than one DC in your network ?

If yes, check which DC is serving the logon request ? Check replication between these DCs.

Check event log on machine. Is it showing any error ?

Regards..

Friday, April 09, 2010 11:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

1. Check whether you have applied GPO at correct OU level.

2. Check GPO Scope.

3. Check if there is  'Block Inheritence' option set on OU in which server/User ID resides. This will create problem if you have applied IE settings at parent OU/Higher level.

4. Check GPO Link Order.

Regards..

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:07 AM
  • When logged in as a user that is experiencing this problem, if you do gpresult /v from the command line, you should be able to see each individual registry setting that the various GPOs are creating (you might have to pipe it to a text file as the results may not fit on a screen) and maybe you can see these odd proxy settings mentioned somewhere in there and pin point which GPO they are coming from.
    My blog: http://cjwdev.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 10:30 AM
  • Right. I have modified a user so they dont pick up any GPOs at all. The user still gets the weird, corrupted proxy settings. If i run gpresult, it comes back like this:

USER SETTINGS
    --------------
        CN=Joe Bloggs,CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=co,DC=uk
        Last time Group Policy was applied: 08/04/2010 at 14:09:26
        Group Policy was applied from:      lafs.mydomain.co.uk
        Group Policy slow link threshold:   500 kbps
        Domain Name:                        MYDOMAIN
        Domain Type:                        Windows 2000

Applied Group Policy Objects
        -----------------------------
            N/A

The following GPOs were not applied because they were filtered out
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Local Group Policy
                Filtering:  Not Applied (Empty)

--SNIP--

However when i run gpresult /v as suggested by Chris128, I get this in the output:

Internet Explorer Connection
            ----------------------------
                HTTP Proxy Server:   192.168.1.112:8000
                Secure Proxy Server: 192.168.1.112:8000
                FTP Proxy Server:    192.168.1.112:8000
                Gopher Proxy Server: 192.168.1.112:8000
                Socks Proxy Server:  192.168.1.112:8000
                Auto Config Enable:  No
                Enable Proxy:        Yes
                Use same Proxy:      Yes

I can't figure out where these settings are coming from? There is no local policy or anything. I have just built a server from scratch and enabled terminal services. If i log in with my test user i get the same problem.

Thursday, April 08, 2010 1:55 PM
  • Hi,

Are there more than one DC in your network ?

If yes, check which DC is serving the logon request ? Check replication between these DCs.

Check event log on machine. Is it showing any error ?

Regards..

Friday, April 09, 2010 11:33 AM