none
Installing Certification Authority on Server 2012 Datacenter RTM Results in 0x80070002 and Certsrv Won't Start

Question

• Hello

I was trying to move the certification authority to a new 2012 server from a 2008 R2 Enterprise server. I backed up the CA and registry key and uninstalled certificate services and restarted the domain controller.

I then proceeded to install certificate services on the new 2012 datacentre server and it installed ok but then when I try to open the Certification Authority MMC Snap-in I get the following error:

"Cannot manage Active Directory Certificate Services.

The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002 (WIN32: 2)"

This error occurs just after the installation and I have not yet tried to restore the backup of the old CA I took earlier.

Is it worth uninstalling certificate services and reinstalling again?

I did see some information that this error can occur if you are changing the edition of Windows you are running but as there is no Enterprise version of 2012 there is no workaround for this. Is this the reason why?

Thanks

Robin

Robin Wilson

Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:03 PM

Answers

• Hi Robin,

The "Cannot manage Active Directory Certificate Services" is not due to the edition of Windows Server 2012 you're running.

After installing the CA role on Windows Server 2012, the CA needs to be configured before it can be managed using the Certificate Authority MMC. Server Manager will show an incomplete task (configure CA). During the configuration, amongst others, the type of CA is determined. After successfully completing the configuration task, the CA MMC will start and you can manage your CA.

WKR,

Arjan

• Marked as answer by robinwilson16 Saturday, February 02, 2013 2:42 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 10:08 PM

All replies

• I've now tried uninstalling and reinstalling the certification authority and still get the same error when trying to start it.

Robin Wilson

Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Hi Robin,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

First, we might check whether the issue is related to permission. By default only the Enterprise Admins and the Domain Admins groups in the Forest Root Domain have enough permission to install and configure an Enterprise Certification Authority. 

Also please check the suggestion of Rob's in the article below regarding the "The system cannot find the file specified. 0x80070002" error:

Successful Errors Installing Windows Server 2008 Certificate Authority

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/03/05/successful-errors-installing-windows-server-2008-certificate-authority.aspx

Regards

Kevin

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:18 AM
  • Hi Robin,

The "Cannot manage Active Directory Certificate Services" is not due to the edition of Windows Server 2012 you're running.

After installing the CA role on Windows Server 2012, the CA needs to be configured before it can be managed using the Certificate Authority MMC. Server Manager will show an incomplete task (configure CA). During the configuration, amongst others, the type of CA is determined. After successfully completing the configuration task, the CA MMC will start and you can manage your CA.

WKR,

Arjan

• Marked as answer by robinwilson16 Saturday, February 02, 2013 2:42 PM
    Monday, January 21, 2013 10:08 PM
  • Hello Arjan

Thanks a lot for the help. I can't believe I missed that. On previous editions it popped up automatically. I think I remember having a similar issue when trying to configure RDS.

Everything is working now. I will have to remember to look there in the future for messages when something won't work.

Thanks

Robin

Robin Wilson

Saturday, February 02, 2013 2:45 PM