none
New SMB shared folder cannot be created. The object already exists.

Question

• Hi Tried to create a new shared folder on a drive and got the message " New SMB shared folder cannot be created. The object already exists." This is a Windows 2008 Cluster.  log has this entry:
    [RCM] rcm::RcmApi::CreateResource: ERROR_OBJECT_ALREADY_EXISTS(5010)' because of 'Resource already exists.'
    [API] s_ApiCreateResource: ERROR_OBJECT_ALREADY_EXISTS(5010)' because of 'g_rcm->rcmApi->CreateResource( pGroup, name, lpszResourceType, dwFlags )'

any help is much appreciated.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:54 PM

Answers

• I just ran into the same problem, and found a solution that I would like to share.

My scenario : 2-node Win2008 fileserver cluster with 3 LUNs attached. Recently added the third LUN when we needed some more disk space

All 3 Cluster Disks have been added to the same FileServer cluster app and fails over correctly to the passive node with the rest of the app (name, IP address and all 3 drive letters)

I can create shares on 2 of the drives, but any shares on the 3rd drive give this error message: "New SMB shared folder cannot be created. The object already exists". To test this i created a new folder on each of the 3 drives, and was able to succesfully share 2 of them (using the "Add a shared folder" link in cluster managent) I could not share any folders on the third disk.

This is a really bad error message and has NOTHING to do with the actual problem.

I compared those 3 drives in the Failover Cluster management and noticed a slight difference in their dependancies.

The problematic FileServer Cluster Disk 3 did not have an dependancy on the Pysical Disk 3. The fileserver disk resources need 2 dependancies: one to the physical disk, and one to the name resource of the fileserver (which depends on the IP )

As soon as I added the extra dependancy i could add shares on disk 3.

To verify that this was in fact the problem, I removed the dependancy...and got the same stupid error message. Adding the dependancy fixed it again. No reboots or failovers needed. The change was instant

I hope this helps anyone elese that runs into this problem.

Did I mention that "The object already exists" is a totally incorrect message ?!! It should read "missing disk resource dependancy"

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you check if the name already excist ? , did you test it with a random name ?

Greetings, Robert Smit http://fiberman.spaces.live.com/
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:33 AM
  • Hi,

Please refer to the following article:

You may receive error messages when you share a folder in a Windows Server 2008 failover cluster

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/947051/en-us

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Marked as answer by Tim QuanModerator Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:01 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ron1n Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:00 AM
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:40 AM
  • guys the error I am getting is not mentioned in the KB article mentioned above.

The error I get is " \\capname\share: New SMB shared folder cannot be created. The object already exists."

I even tried with a random name with random characters, no luck.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

But the article does list this error message:

\\server_name\folder_name: New SMB shared folder cannot be created. The cluster resource could not be found.

“\\server_name\folder_name:” is a variable. In your case, it is \\capname\share:.

Please try the suggestion in the article to troubleshoot the issue first.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:27 AM
  • Hi Tim,

there is a slight difference in my error and the one you pointed out.

I get this error:

" \\capname\share: New SMB shared folder cannot be created. The object already exists."

The error mentioned in the KB is
    \\server_name\folder_name: New SMB shared folder cannot be created. The cluster resource could not be found.

I did go through the KB and the disk is added to the right resource.
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

Now can you create a shared folder using another name? Can you create a shared folder on another location?

If the issue persists, you may need to rebuild a disk and recreate a File Share cluster to test the result.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Friday, August 14, 2009 4:03 AM
  • Describe to me what your cluster File Server resource looks like.  There should be 1 per NetName and per Disk resource.  Do you have other shares on this volume?  As Tim suggested, can you share other folders? (is it unique to this one).

Do you already have another folder with the same share name shared under this File Server resource?
    Friday, August 14, 2009 4:14 AM
  • I just ran into the same problem, and found a solution that I would like to share.

My scenario : 2-node Win2008 fileserver cluster with 3 LUNs attached. Recently added the third LUN when we needed some more disk space

All 3 Cluster Disks have been added to the same FileServer cluster app and fails over correctly to the passive node with the rest of the app (name, IP address and all 3 drive letters)

I can create shares on 2 of the drives, but any shares on the 3rd drive give this error message: "New SMB shared folder cannot be created. The object already exists". To test this i created a new folder on each of the 3 drives, and was able to succesfully share 2 of them (using the "Add a shared folder" link in cluster managent) I could not share any folders on the third disk.

This is a really bad error message and has NOTHING to do with the actual problem.

I compared those 3 drives in the Failover Cluster management and noticed a slight difference in their dependancies.

The problematic FileServer Cluster Disk 3 did not have an dependancy on the Pysical Disk 3. The fileserver disk resources need 2 dependancies: one to the physical disk, and one to the name resource of the fileserver (which depends on the IP )

As soon as I added the extra dependancy i could add shares on disk 3.

To verify that this was in fact the problem, I removed the dependancy...and got the same stupid error message. Adding the dependancy fixed it again. No reboots or failovers needed. The change was instant

I hope this helps anyone elese that runs into this problem.

Did I mention that "The object already exists" is a totally incorrect message ?!! It should read "missing disk resource dependancy"

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:51 AM
  • You are my new Hero. Thanks for posting your fix. It was the same issue on my cluster as well.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 2:11 PM
  • Worked for me too.  Thanks!!

Monday, June 28, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Establishing the dependencies first resolved an identical error creating a clustered share for me as well.

As there are a number of customers experiencing the same issue, can one of the MVPs escalate with Microsoft support to investigate or document in a KB?

Tuesday, August 03, 2010 7:22 PM
  • Dear all,

I had the same problem. Everything was ok with dependancy as Vanzel suggested. What solved my problem was the following:

Open registry, navigate to HKLM\Cluster\Resources. Under this key you will see a bunch of names similar to 5f77a58e-cf45-4688-8d7e-b38ef0e407aa.
    To find the resource you need use F3 (find) and type the name of VirtualFileServer name. Once you find it under that key you should see subkey Parameters.
    Expand it and you will see a list of all shared folders on that virtual file server.

If I am right you will see the name of folder which you are trying to share and you get this error "... name has already been shared ..."
    Delete this key and try to share folder again. It should be succesful and new key with same name should be created.

I hope this will help as it did in my case.

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by Rich L Miller Friday, January 21, 2011 4:00 PM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:24 AM
  • Mladen Milunovic,

The above resolved this issue for me. I reviewed the previous posts and could not find resolution. Thank you for posting additional solutions after the fact. I was able to edit the HKLM\Cluster\Resources hive and find the parameters container that was holding the share name. I deleted the key and was able to finally create the correct share.

Regards,

Rich Miller

Friday, January 21, 2011 4:00 PM
  • Mladen Milunovic,

I also found your answer to be exactly what I was looking for. I did not know about that registry key and it helped me resolve the problems I was having and clear out the SCOM errors I got every time I rebooted the file servers.

Sincerely, Rico Mundy

Wednesday, February 02, 2011 1:00 AM
  • Thanks Vanzel, you just did my day too... :)
    T00071
    Monday, August 29, 2011 11:13 AM
  • Thank you so much for posting this solution.
    Tuesday, October 02, 2012 1:04 PM
  • Thanks mattt for solution, this worked for me.
    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 8:29 AM