none
Vista Business Full Backup - Error 0x800745D

Question

• I have been trying to do a full backup in Vista Business.  After half an hour I get error 0x800745D.  I found and followed KB952272, but it did not help.  I tried again wihtout doing steps 6, 7, and 8 (I thought omitting creating a restore point might help) but still the error.

I am running on a Gateway CX2724 and backing up to a LaCie 500GB USB drive.  I am patched to date.
    Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:35 AM

Answers

• Sushil:

As you recommended, I ran "chkdsk c: /R" which found in some files bad clusters, which it replaced.

I then followed the procedure outlined in KB952272 and Backup ran successfully.  THANKS.
    • Marked as answer by 090115 Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:25 AM
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:25 AM
  • the root cause in this case was the bad clusteres on the disk - deleting the shadow copies as mentioned in the KB952272 was not required. I would suggest anyone running into this error with vista complete pc backup to try running chkdsk on source and backup
    location, and retry the backup. if that does not solve the problem - you can email me with the etl file as mentioned in a reply earlier.

To run chkdsk -

Runn cmd prompt elevated

1. click start

2. type cmd

3. right click the cmd program and select 'run as administrator'

in the cmd window - type chkdsk x: /R
    where x: is the drive letter for the backup source volume or the backup location.
    as in this case - if the volume is c:, chkdsk may need to run on next reboot.

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    • Marked as answer by Christine Fok Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:31 AM

All replies

• can you please email me the etl files at %windir%\logs\completepc at sbaid-nospam@microsoft.com (note use only the highlighted letter in the email name - this is to avoid spam)
    ------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Monday, January 05, 2009 3:42 AM
  • Hello Sushil.  I have shipped the logs off to you.
    Monday, January 05, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Sushil:

As you recommended, I ran "chkdsk c: /R" which found in some files bad clusters, which it replaced.

I then followed the procedure outlined in KB952272 and Backup ran successfully.  THANKS.
    • Marked as answer by 090115 Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:25 AM
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:25 AM
  • the root cause in this case was the bad clusteres on the disk - deleting the shadow copies as mentioned in the KB952272 was not required. I would suggest anyone running into this error with vista complete pc backup to try running chkdsk on source and backup
    location, and retry the backup. if that does not solve the problem - you can email me with the etl file as mentioned in a reply earlier.

To run chkdsk -

Runn cmd prompt elevated

1. click start

2. type cmd

3. right click the cmd program and select 'run as administrator'

in the cmd window - type chkdsk x: /R
    where x: is the drive letter for the backup source volume or the backup location.
    as in this case - if the volume is c:, chkdsk may need to run on next reboot.

• Marked as answer by Christine Fok Wednesday, January 14, 2009 3:01 AM
    Wednesday, January 07, 2009 3:31 AM