none
Basic Disk / Simple Volume

Question

• In Windows 2008, I found we do not have options to create a primary partition and extended partition.  Instead, it has options to create volumes (in earlier versions of windows, we had this option only when we had dynamic disks).

Is this a change in Windows 2008.  If yes, where can I have more information on the same.

Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:29 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Generally speaking, the main difference between the new "Simple Volume" and "partition" (used on basic disk prior to Windows Vista) is that you can resize the volume.

In earlier versions of Windows, your choices for resizing volumes and partitions once they had been created were limited. If you needed to add space to a volume, your only choice was to make the disk a dynamic disk and then create a spanned volume. If you wanted to expand or contract a partition, your only choice was to use third-party tools. In Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, however, you can now expand and contract volumes without data loss and without requiring a reboot.

In Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the term "simple volume" has been expanded to include both partitions on basic disks and simple volumes on dynamic disks. If your only need is a simple volume, your best choice is a basic disk because a simple volume doesn't use the advanced features of a dynamic disk.

Besides, on basic MBR disks, the first three volumes created will be primary partitions, the fourth simple volume on a basic MBR disk is created as an extended partition and a logical drive. Further simple volumes on the basic MBR disk are logical drives.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, March 06, 2008 12:57 PM

All replies

•  

This link provides help on disk management in windows 2008. hope this helps

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb540530(VS.85).aspx

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 4:08 AM
  • Hi Jane,

The above line talks about basic disk and dynamic disk in general.

I want something with specific to Windows 2008.  For instance, in windows 2003, you cannot create a simple volume in Basic disk (rather you can only create primary partitions and extended partitions). But with windows 2008 I am able to create a simple volume in Basic disk.  I need some information on what has changed in Disk Management with reference to Windows 2008.

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 12:59 PM
  • Hello,

Generally speaking, the main difference between the new "Simple Volume" and "partition" (used on basic disk prior to Windows Vista) is that you can resize the volume.

In earlier versions of Windows, your choices for resizing volumes and partitions once they had been created were limited. If you needed to add space to a volume, your only choice was to make the disk a dynamic disk and then create a spanned volume. If you wanted to expand or contract a partition, your only choice was to use third-party tools. In Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, however, you can now expand and contract volumes without data loss and without requiring a reboot.

In Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the term "simple volume" has been expanded to include both partitions on basic disks and simple volumes on dynamic disks. If your only need is a simple volume, your best choice is a basic disk because a simple volume doesn't use the advanced features of a dynamic disk.

Besides, on basic MBR disks, the first three volumes created will be primary partitions, the fourth simple volume on a basic MBR disk is created as an extended partition and a logical drive. Further simple volumes on the basic MBR disk are logical drives.

Best regards,

Chang Yin

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, March 06, 2008 12:57 PM