Cannot join domain "network path was not found"

Question

• I upgraded an inplace Server 2008 with 2008 R2 and installed the Domain Controller and DNS Roles. But, when I try to join another Server 2008 to the domain it fails with "The following error aoccurred attempting to join the domain "SBSLAND.local" The network path was not found.
    The servers can ping one another but apparently DNS queries are not getting what they need to find the Domain Controller.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Bob 
    Friday, April 10, 2009 5:36 PM

Answers

• In the final analysis this problem was solved by switching to a different network adapter. We are not able to pinpoint the exact issue as hardware or software, but after switching to a different adapter the problem went away completely and we were able to join the domain straightaway. Very strange though, because the adpater worked fine for Internet access and could be pinged as well. Anyway, if you experience this issue, try changing adpaters earlier in the process ;-)   

• Marked as answer by rkromney Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1) Please make it sure that your Dns is configured properly and verify your SRV records.

2) Please try disabling the firewall and Antivirus Application for a while on the Windows 2008 server and try.

3) Plese Perform a Dcdiag and see if you find and errors, if at all you are not able to troubleshoot please post the dcdiag results we will help you.          

4) If the above solutions doesnt helps try a clean boot.

Step 1: Perform a Clean Boot

Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray).

Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". Restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK".

Thanks and Hope it Helps

Syed Khairuddin
    Sunday, April 12, 2009 6:29 AM
  • Hi, Syed,

DNS appears to be configured properly, this symptom is continuing even after a complete re-installation. How can I confirm the DC's SRV resource records are in place? I see (SOA)s, (NS)s, and (A)s but no (SRV)s. Which folders should they be in?

The firewall is and has been disabled at all times.

Even after re-installation and "clean" boot, the problem continues, my head is sore from pounding it against the wall.

DCDIAG shows three issues related to IPV6 ("AAAA").

Bob

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 12:29 AM
  • Hi Rkromney,

Please perform an "ipconfig /all on both Servers.  Please verify the TCP/IP Setting, specifically the DNS Servers.  On the
    server that you are attempting to join the Domain, complete an ipconfig flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns.  You may have to reset ipv4 interface.  "netsh int ipv4 reset" 

"nbtstat -rr"

This will require you to restart your computer.  The 2008 Server should be statically assigned.  Please ensure that is correct.  Please ensure  that the domain name that you are attempting to connect to is correct.  In addition, Hold the Win Key and hit "Pause/Break to enter into computer properties.  Please verify the workgroup name.  If the name of the workgroup is the same as the domain which you are attempting to join.  You will have to modify the workgroup name to"Workgroup"  restart your computer then attempt to join the server to the domain.  Please ensure that your server is pointing to the correct DNS Server.  You ca simply type nslookup in the command prompt and this will populate your Name Resolution Server.

Thank you,

Aaron Griffin
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:45 PM
  • Please check the ip configuration to set the DNS address to the DNS Server
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:40 AM
  • In the final analysis this problem was solved by switching to a different network adapter. We are not able to pinpoint the exact issue as hardware or software, but after switching to a different adapter the problem went away completely and we were able to join the domain straightaway. Very strange though, because the adpater worked fine for Internet access and could be pinged as well. Anyway, if you experience this issue, try changing adpaters earlier in the process ;-)   

• Marked as answer by rkromney Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:18 PM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 6:18 PM
  • That is probably because you originally disabled IPV6 on the other adaptor. IPV6 is necessary for the functionality of Server 2008 and SBS 08.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 2:45 PM
  • I ran into this same issue. It turned out that during the original configuration of the server the NIC that was on the LAN was slated to be a publicly facing NIC. As a result the Client for Microsoft Networks had been disabled on it.

Once I reenabled Client for Microsoft Networks on the NIC of the Domain Controller I was able to join other machines to the domain successfully.
    Madrona
    • Proposed as answer by Virtual81 Monday, October 19, 2009 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:51 AM
  • hi, on the server you want to connect to the domain, set the default gateway, dns server to the ip of the host server. when trying to conect to the domain, don't use network id, as it is a waste of time. i had trouble until a friend set it up for me. that is what he did.
    Sunday, June 28, 2009 9:55 PM
  • I ran into this same issue. It turned out that during the original configuration of the server the NIC that was on the LAN was slated to be a publicly facing NIC. As a result the Client for Microsoft Networks had been disabled on it.

Once I reenabled Client for Microsoft Networks on the NIC of the Domain Controller I was able to join other machines to the domain successfully.
    Madrona
    I didn't want to create another thread, but in my case the above solved the issue.
    Thought i'd post to share my experience (different to the OP) for the benefit of others and to give Madrona proper kudos.

Many thanks.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Hi,friend , i want to also  Share my opinion about this Domain , i am also using this http://www.tucktail.com/  site 's domain name for successfully publishing my website , you can also approached this site for any of the domain related queries .visit this site for more details.All the best. 
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 11:27 AM