none
Windows 2008 Terminal service

Question

• Hi,

I am planning to implement Windows 2008 Terminal service in order to allow remote users access to the application. I have a few questions:

a.) What is the avg bandwidth requirement per RDP session?

b.) What is the maximum number of concurrent RDP session can one server supports? If I have one Windows 2008 terminal server, can it supports more than 200 concurrent users? 

c.) What is the server's RAM requirement per RDP session?

d.) What is the limitatation for Macintoshi user when they connecting to the TS server via the RDP client for Mac?

d.) Is there any whitepaper/documentation on the Microsoft site which talk about designing a Terminal services Infrastructure?

Thanks,
    Alex

Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

a) It depends, for example if you bring all visual effect to a minimum and will not be using any redirected ports or devices, 56K may be more or less enough. But if you will be using, printer redirection, 16 bit color, etc. you may need more. You have to try and see what works for you.

b) Yes it can support 200 concurrent sessions, but your server should be powerful enough to handle such a big load. And it is not about the number of the sessions, it is about everything: bandwidth, used applications, used settings, etc.

c) Then session itself does not consume a lot of memory, the memory will be consumed by the applications which are used by your users. Consider which applications will be used, calculate how many resources those apps are using and plan accordingly.

d) The limitation is in the RDP client which they will be using. From the server side there are no limitations.

Take a look at this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ca837962-4128-4680-b1c0-ad0985939063

сила в справедливости
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Hi Alex,

For 200 concurrent users you need to calculate the memory consumption like this:

Server RAM = 1 GB (Windows) + 200 (number of sessions) * (20 MB + average user consumption)

20 MB is just for a blank session with no application running, so you will need about 5 GB of RAM just to connect the users to the server and do nothing.

Also the CPU consumption can go quite high, even for web browsing (light load in my opinion) you may need one CPU core for each 10-15 users, but the safe way is to benchmark with 10 concurrent users doing their stuff for 15 minutes and see how many resources they consume. Multiply by 20 and you get what you need.

There are some whitepapers on TS plannning, but in my experience they cannot tell you everything - the user load is the most important factor and it depends on your particular setup, there is no general rule. What you will not find easily is how to scale up to a load balanced server farm - you will find docs on NLB, on TS farming, on SSL, mandatory user profiles, but nothing on how to integrate all these into a scalable farm with 3-4 servers easy to integrate and support.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Alex,

a) It depends, for example if you bring all visual effect to a minimum and will not be using any redirected ports or devices, 56K may be more or less enough. But if you will be using, printer redirection, 16 bit color, etc. you may need more. You have to try and see what works for you.

b) Yes it can support 200 concurrent sessions, but your server should be powerful enough to handle such a big load. And it is not about the number of the sessions, it is about everything: bandwidth, used applications, used settings, etc.

c) Then session itself does not consume a lot of memory, the memory will be consumed by the applications which are used by your users. Consider which applications will be used, calculate how many resources those apps are using and plan accordingly.

d) The limitation is in the RDP client which they will be using. From the server side there are no limitations.

Take a look at this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=ca837962-4128-4680-b1c0-ad0985939063

сила в справедливости
    Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:46 AM
  • Hi Alex,

Was this information enough? Do you need any more assistance?

сила в справедливости
    Monday, April 12, 2010 9:13 PM
  • Hi Alex,

For 200 concurrent users you need to calculate the memory consumption like this:

Server RAM = 1 GB (Windows) + 200 (number of sessions) * (20 MB + average user consumption)

20 MB is just for a blank session with no application running, so you will need about 5 GB of RAM just to connect the users to the server and do nothing.

Also the CPU consumption can go quite high, even for web browsing (light load in my opinion) you may need one CPU core for each 10-15 users, but the safe way is to benchmark with 10 concurrent users doing their stuff for 15 minutes and see how many resources they consume. Multiply by 20 and you get what you need.

There are some whitepapers on TS plannning, but in my experience they cannot tell you everything - the user load is the most important factor and it depends on your particular setup, there is no general rule. What you will not find easily is how to scale up to a load balanced server farm - you will find docs on NLB, on TS farming, on SSL, mandatory user profiles, but nothing on how to integrate all these into a scalable farm with 3-4 servers easy to integrate and support.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Hi All,

Many thanks for the information. It is very helpful. I don't need any more assistance for now.

Thanks,
    Alex

Wednesday, April 14, 2010 4:31 AM