none
Remote Desktop Services - Remote Control greyed out

Question

• Just looking for clarification on the new Remote Desktop Services Manager. I have RDS manager running on my Windows 7 box, and connecting to my two Remote Desktop Servers. But I cannot remote control users as it's grayed out. The pop-up message that comes up when I first start RDS Manager on my Win7 box states "Certain features, such as Remote Desktop and Connect, work only when you run this tool from a Remote Desktop Services client session".  Ok, so what are they exactly meaning here? In order to remote control users, I have to connect to the server and run the RDSM there? Thanks.
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 1:47 PM

Answers

• To be able to shadow or remote control other user sessions, you need to be connected over RDP, as the message implies, you can't do this from the console. Remote from another machine and then retry the action.
    • Marked as answer by RBanse Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:22 PM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:04 PM

All replies

• To be able to shadow or remote control other user sessions, you need to be connected over RDP, as the message implies, you can't do this from the console. Remote from another machine and then retry the action.
    • Marked as answer by RBanse Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:22 PM
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Bummer. Why would they make it like that?
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:22 PM
  • I'm unsure, but I presume that the process of using Remote Control requires access to the RDP protocol which you don't get when logging onto the physical console. The same requirement applies to Citrix XenApp.
    Thursday, July 08, 2010 2:41 PM