Change default home folder location SBS 2008

Question

• I'd like to know if anyone knows (I assume it's just a registry setting) how to change the default location that SBS 2008 creates users folders in, when using the 'Add new user account' wizard in the SBS console.  By default it creates them in C:\users\shares\ with a share name of 'usershares'.

My goal is to delete the 'usershares' share, set it back up on the D: drive and have the 'Add new user account' wizard under SBS Console automatically create the home folders there.

I know how to manually set up and change users' shares using AD, so please don't suggest that.

TIA
    ciao
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:17 PM

Answers

• Found it...

-Created folder on root of D: called 'HOMEFOLDERS' and shared it.
    -Browsed to HKLM\SOFTWARE\microsoft\smallbusinessserver\storage
    -changed key: 'SharedRootName' data value from 'UserShares' to 'HOMEFOLDERS'
    -changed key: 'SharedRootPath' data value from '%systemdrive%\Users\Shares' to 'D:\HOMEFOLDERS'

created new user... worked like a charm... no reboot necessary.

ciao
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:35 PM
  • There is a wizard to accomplish this task.  It is located under the 'Backup and Server Storage' section of SBS Console > 'Server Storage' tab > 'Move users' Shared Data'
    This wizard only gives you the ability to change drive letters (exactly what my original goal was) but if you want to move them into another folder, you'll have to use the registry workaround stated above.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:45 PM

All replies

• Found it...

-Created folder on root of D: called 'HOMEFOLDERS' and shared it.
    -Browsed to HKLM\SOFTWARE\microsoft\smallbusinessserver\storage
    -changed key: 'SharedRootName' data value from 'UserShares' to 'HOMEFOLDERS'
    -changed key: 'SharedRootPath' data value from '%systemdrive%\Users\Shares' to 'D:\HOMEFOLDERS'

created new user... worked like a charm... no reboot necessary.

ciao
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:35 PM
  • There is a wizard to accomplish this task.  It is located under the 'Backup and Server Storage' section of SBS Console > 'Server Storage' tab > 'Move users' Shared Data'
    This wizard only gives you the ability to change drive letters (exactly what my original goal was) but if you want to move them into another folder, you'll have to use the registry workaround stated above.
    Friday, October 30, 2009 7:45 PM