none
Robocopy from source to destinationA then from destinationA to destinationB

Question

• I have a near online store of the organisations main file system maintained by Robocopy - Robocopy.exe \\Source\files\ \\des\files /MIR /MT:8 /COPYALL /ZB /R:0 /W:0 /V /TEE /LOG:C:\logs\RoboFiles.txt

Once the files are in \\des\files I have another copy job with the same switches to copy from \\des\files to an offsite store overnight (so copying from A to B and then from B to C). I have noticed that while the first copy can sometimes be large the offsite copy is often small when it should be the same size. Basically will this setup work or is the archive bit not set when robocopy makes it's incremental update to the destination files?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 05, 2013 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds to me like the first copy set is a full copy while the second copy set is an incremental update (i.e. just copying the changed data to the existing set.)

This is common in a setup where Site A and Site B are internal and have a LAN with no bandwidth issues so a full copy or syncronous copy is possible. Where Site B backs up to a Site C (Site C being off site) then its not unusual to see an incremental or some derivative of Async copying going on.

I cannot see any reason that this setup would not work in a case where Site C is not too concerned about the time in which it recieves its data.

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Saturday, May 11, 2013 2:17 AM