none
Force To Update Client From WSUS Server

Question

• Hi !

Many Times It Is Useful For Me To Look At WSUS Console And To Select Some PC's And Make Them To Update Themselves. I Dont Like To Go To Clients And Initiate WUAUCLT /Dtectnow

In short : I Like To Select Some Clients And Make Them Innediately Come To WSUS Server And Update Themselves.

And Another Question :

I Like To Set A Policy Like This For My File Servers :

Update At Anytime During Workday For Example 3:00 PM

So It is Done And Some Updates Need Restarting.

I Like Them To Be Restarted At Night (In Order To Not Stopping Service Even For Seconds)  For Example 1:00 AM (As You Know Many Updates Needs Another Previous Updates And Restarting Server)

How Should It Be Done ?

Friday, March 30, 2012 8:39 AM

Answers

• How Should It Be Done ?

Writing your messages like a normal person with normal capitalization would be a good start.

But, in short.. you cannot do what you propose, unless you purchase a 3rd party tool to allow you to directly manage the Windows Update Agent installation and reboot behaviors.

In a native WSUS environment, you have only three behavior options for installing server updates:

1. Install updates interactively (from the console or Remote Desktop) at a time when it is appropriate to reboot the system.
    2. Install updates at a scheduled event, which will initiate a system restart if no user is logged onto the system.
    3. Install updates at a scheduled event, and if a user is logged on, that user can defer the reboot.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

To deploy the update ASAP, you can set option 4 and let it install at the time you like in the GPO and it will enable the automatic reboots if necessary.There is no option for you to install it immediately.

The goal of Windows Update is to always keep your computer as safe and secure as possible.  Therefore, if you decided that Windows Update should Install updates automatically, an automatic system reboot would be a part of the process.You can't do the restarting and installing apart.  For your File server,it is meaningless to install in the 3 pm and restart in the 1 am.Installing in the 3 pm wouldn't take effect until the restarting finishes.To satisfy your second Question, you can set option 4 and set the installing time in the 3 pm,and let it install and restart during the night.

Read the link may give you some insight:http://blogs.technet.com/b/mu/archive/2008/10/02/windows-update-and-automatic-reboots.aspx

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 02, 2012 8:52 AM

All replies

• How Should It Be Done ?

Writing your messages like a normal person with normal capitalization would be a good start.

But, in short.. you cannot do what you propose, unless you purchase a 3rd party tool to allow you to directly manage the Windows Update Agent installation and reboot behaviors.

In a native WSUS environment, you have only three behavior options for installing server updates:

1. Install updates interactively (from the console or Remote Desktop) at a time when it is appropriate to reboot the system.
    2. Install updates at a scheduled event, which will initiate a system restart if no user is logged onto the system.
    3. Install updates at a scheduled event, and if a user is logged on, that user can defer the reboot.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2012)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi,

To deploy the update ASAP, you can set option 4 and let it install at the time you like in the GPO and it will enable the automatic reboots if necessary.There is no option for you to install it immediately.

The goal of Windows Update is to always keep your computer as safe and secure as possible.  Therefore, if you decided that Windows Update should Install updates automatically, an automatic system reboot would be a part of the process.You can't do the restarting and installing apart.  For your File server,it is meaningless to install in the 3 pm and restart in the 1 am.Installing in the 3 pm wouldn't take effect until the restarting finishes.To satisfy your second Question, you can set option 4 and set the installing time in the 3 pm,and let it install and restart during the night.

Read the link may give you some insight:http://blogs.technet.com/b/mu/archive/2008/10/02/windows-update-and-automatic-reboots.aspx

Best regards,

Clarence

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, April 02, 2012 8:52 AM