none
Files 2003 server in a 2008 domain

Question

• Hi All,

I have a 2008R2 DC (complete 2008R2 domain) and a 2008R2 FileServer, everything is working perfectly . . but now i placed an "old" Windows 2003 FileServer in this network (alot of data) . .

I add this 2003 (x64) to the domain and it seems to work . . but now i will add some security groups to the shares . .  but i cannot browser the AD environment at all . . 

Clicking Advanced give me an error see below .  .

Any tips ??

(on the 2003 server is only the file server role installed)

Friday, June 15, 2012 10:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• Verify this server can talk to one of the domain controller. Check whether validate local DNS server has been specified correctly in its NIC. I would suggest disjoin the machine from the domain & join it back. Also, verify the event log for any relevant errors.

Awinish Vishwakarma - MVP - Directory Services

My Blog: awinish.wordpress.com

Disclaimer This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:32 AM
  • Disjoined the machine . . . checked all connection settings on NIC . . . rejoin the machine to domain, this goes smooth and quickly. I can see all other machines, stable connection to domain controller and dns.

In the event log are just one error about windows search, but nothing else.

Try to add groups to folders give same error as described above . .  :( 

Saturday, June 16, 2012 9:10 AM
  • Hello,

did you run "sfc /scannow" on the Windows server 2003 to exclude problems with some system files?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Since this is a member server have you tried other domain admin or local administrator login and check how does it work.Also ensure that public ip address is not configured as dns setting on the server.It should only point to local dns server.If you have multiple nic disable the unrequired NIC.

Best Regards,

Sandesh Dubey.

MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|MCTS|MCITP:Enterprise Adminitrator | My Blog

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Sunday, June 17, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Hi,

Please check if the following registry keys are missing?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{080d0d78-f421-11d0-a36e-00c04fb950dc} HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{274fae1f-3626-11d1-a3a4-00c04fb950dc}

If so, please import these registry keys from the other working machine and check the result.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:36 AM
  • Hi,

These keys are in the registry of the server . . 

Regards

T.

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you run a system file checker to check the result.

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

If the issue persists, please refer to the “How to Repair Your Installation of Windows” section of the following Microsoft KB article to repair Windows Server 2003.

How to troubleshoot startup problems in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325375

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:23 AM
  • Can close this thread, gonna setup a complete new server, just moving all files to a temp server.

Regards

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 11:38 AM