none
CreateVirtualDisk API?

Question

• Not strictly a Hyper-V question but definitely a virtual one.

I am battling with the virtual disk API, CreateVirtualDisk() in particular, on Windows 7x64Ultimate using VS2008SP1 and native C++.

The idea is to use a VSS snapshot as the source for a new disk - I'm trying to duplicate some of the functionality found in the SysInternals Disk2VHD app which lets you sanp from a live, bootable, volume. Please see code below. The VSS snap (wrapped in VSSCopierW7 object) the completes sucessfull. The app is running with elevated privileges- whatever parameters I try (as suggested in the API docs) the error code is always ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER. What I am actually trying to do is create a dynamic VHD that allocates only as much storage as it needs for my bootable C drive, so it can be mounted in Virtual PC or attached to be a bootable virtual drive.

Thx++

Jerry

P.S.
    m_options.drive == "C:\\";
      // destructor handles cleanup of shadow volume
          Chordia::VSSCopier* pCopier = new Chordia::VSSCopierW7(m_options.drive,m_options.drive);

// handles destruction and thus closure of VSS
          std::auto_ptr<Chordia::VSSCopier> copy_ptr(pCopier);

// this handles VSS creation etc
          copy_ptr->Copy();
          // get the fully qualified UNC name for the snapshot
          string_t root = copy_ptr->root_name();
          // set up for VirtDisk calls
          VIRTUAL_STORAGE_TYPE storageType =
          {
            VIRTUAL_STORAGE_TYPE_DEVICE_VHD,
            VIRTUAL_STORAGE_TYPE_VENDOR_MICROSOFT
          };

VIRTUAL_DISK_ACCESS_MASK vdam = (VIRTUAL_DISK_ACCESS_MASK)(VIRTUAL_DISK_ACCESS_CREATE); // |VIRTUAL_DISK_ACCESS_WRITABLE|VIRTUAL_DISK_ACCESS_READ|VIRTUAL_DISK_ACCESS_GET_INFO);
          CREATE_VIRTUAL_DISK_FLAG flags = CREATE_VIRTUAL_DISK_FLAG_FULL_PHYSICAL_ALLOCATION; // CREATE_VIRTUAL_DISK_FLAG_NONE;
          CREATE_VIRTUAL_DISK_PARAMETERS parameters =
          {
            CREATE_VIRTUAL_DISK_VERSION_1
          };
          //
          parameters.Version1.UniqueId = GUID_NULL;
          parameters.Version1.MaximumSize = 0x40000000; // 0
          parameters.Version1.BlockSizeInBytes = CREATE_VIRTUAL_DISK_PARAMETERS_DEFAULT_BLOCK_SIZE;
          parameters.Version1.ParentPath = 0;
          parameters.Version1.SourcePath = root.c_str();
          parameters.Version1.SectorSizeInBytes = CREATE_VIRTUAL_DISK_PARAMETERS_DEFAULT_SECTOR_SIZE;
          // our new disk handle
          HANDLE handle = 0;
    // call
     dwRet = CreateVirtualDisk(&storageType,_T("t:\\test.vhd"),vdam,NULL,flags,0,&parameters,0,&handle); // dump debug DBMSG2(_T("CreateVirtualDisk: 0x") << Chordia::toHex(dwRet) << " VSS snapshot: " << root); if (dwRet != ERROR_SUCCESS) { Chordia::CSysError se(dwRet); if (dwRet == ERROR_INVALID_PARAMETER) { int i = 0; } DBMSG2("Error: " << se.data()); }

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 3:35 PM

All replies