none
How to Configure VMware Network between virtual machines For Windows 7 Config

Question

• Hello Guys;
    Im a new MCITP student. I'm just fresh out of college without that much experience on field. Here i'm trying to set up my practical lab on VMware. I've already installed virtual Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. Now I'm seeking for assistance on how to configure them to see each other, should i use NAT, Bridge or what type of connection? And, is it necessary to configure IP manually to the VMs? If necessary, how should i do it?

How should I make guest VMs and Host talk to each other without connecting them to the switch or hub? Im using a wireless internet, modem or no internet at all sometimes; Cant they talk to each other without internet, switch/hub?
    Would you please help me out how to config them. Should I assign my Domain Controller as DHCP? Do i need to assign things like DNS server and default gateway on all 3 mashines i.e Host, Virtual 2008 R2 and Virtual W7?
    If you wont mind, would you please assist me with the example on how I should do this?

Regards!!      

Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:33 AM

Answers

• Hello Guys;

>>>>Im a new MCITP student. I'm just fresh out of college without that much experience on field. Here i'm trying to set up my practical lab on VMware. I've already installed virtual Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. Now I'm seeking for assistance on how to configure them to see each other, should i use NAT, Bridge or what type of connection? And, is it necessary to configure IP manually to the VMs? If necessary, how should i do it?

As you are using VMware SW you could have seek help from Vmware forum.Anyways, sharing below as you posted your query here.

Virtual Machines communication on Hper-V/VMware is main thing and have to configure based on only VMs (Guest) communication or Physical Machine (host) to VM(Guest) communication.

Here in you case, you have two Virtual machines(Virtual 2008 R2 and Virtual W7) on VMWare. So if you want set communication path between VMs, go for Host only option in VM settings.Bridged/NAT/Customer Network can be used to connect Host and Guest machines each other.

>>>>How should I make guest VMs and Host talk to each other without connecting them to the switch or hub? Im using a wireless internet, modem or no internet at all sometimes; Cant they talk to each other without internet, switch/hub?

Select Virtual Machine>settings>Network> choose Bridged/NAT/Customer LAN can be used to connect Host and guest Machines each other.

>>>>Would you please help me out how to config them. Should I assign my Domain Controller as DHCP? Do i need to assign things like DNS server and default gateway on all 3 mashines i.e Host, Virtual 2008 R2 and Virtual W7?

If your intention to use only two virtual machines (Virtual 2008 R2 and Virtual W7?) or also want to use Host along with other two Guests?

Since you have 3 machines I don't think so use of DHCP is not required.Use static IP settings. Still want to test DHCP, configure DHCP role on Virtual 2008 R2 and test along with workstations (virtual W7 etc)

If you wont mind, would you please assist me with the example on how I should do this?

Regards!!      

Hello, 

See the above marked answers in bold letters and let us know if you need any other help.

Also I recommend you read this guide to know more about virtual network configuration

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hello Guys;

>>>>Im a new MCITP student. I'm just fresh out of college without that much experience on field. Here i'm trying to set up my practical lab on VMware. I've already installed virtual Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7. Now I'm seeking for assistance on how to configure them to see each other, should i use NAT, Bridge or what type of connection? And, is it necessary to configure IP manually to the VMs? If necessary, how should i do it?

As you are using VMware SW you could have seek help from Vmware forum.Anyways, sharing below as you posted your query here.

Virtual Machines communication on Hper-V/VMware is main thing and have to configure based on only VMs (Guest) communication or Physical Machine (host) to VM(Guest) communication.

Here in you case, you have two Virtual machines(Virtual 2008 R2 and Virtual W7) on VMWare. So if you want set communication path between VMs, go for Host only option in VM settings.Bridged/NAT/Customer Network can be used to connect Host and Guest machines each other.

>>>>How should I make guest VMs and Host talk to each other without connecting them to the switch or hub? Im using a wireless internet, modem or no internet at all sometimes; Cant they talk to each other without internet, switch/hub?

Select Virtual Machine>settings>Network> choose Bridged/NAT/Customer LAN can be used to connect Host and guest Machines each other.

>>>>Would you please help me out how to config them. Should I assign my Domain Controller as DHCP? Do i need to assign things like DNS server and default gateway on all 3 mashines i.e Host, Virtual 2008 R2 and Virtual W7?

If your intention to use only two virtual machines (Virtual 2008 R2 and Virtual W7?) or also want to use Host along with other two Guests?

Since you have 3 machines I don't think so use of DHCP is not required.Use static IP settings. Still want to test DHCP, configure DHCP role on Virtual 2008 R2 and test along with workstations (virtual W7 etc)

Regards!!      

Hello, 

See the above marked answers in bold letters and let us know if you need any other help.

Also I recommend you read this guide to know more about virtual network configuration

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thursday, November 22, 2012 7:42 AM
  • Thanks a lot Ravikumar, i'm going to work on it and i'll post you with prograss here.
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:26 PM