none
problem with clean up

Question

• hi all

i have two wsus servers.

upstream: windows server 2008 (with SP2) + Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Edition 2005 (9.00.5069.00)

downstream: windows server 2008 R2 (with SP1) + MS SQL (Windows Internal Database)

i use power shell script like this on both servers:

[String]$updateServer = "localhost"
    [Boolean]$useSecureConnection = $False
    [Int32]$portNumber = 80
    [Boolean]$supersededUpdates = $True
    [Boolean]$expiredUpdates = $True
    [Boolean]$obsoleteUpdates = $True
    [Boolean]$compressUpdates = $True
    [Boolean]$obsoleteComputers = $True
    [Boolean]$unneededContentFiles = $True
    [void][reflection.assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration")
    $Wsus = [Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy]::getUpdateServer($updateServer,$useSecureConnection,$portNumber)
    $CleanupManager = $Wsus.GetCleanupManager()
    $CleanupScope = New-Object Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.CleanupScope($supersededUpdates,$expiredUpdates,$obsoleteUpdates,$compressUpdates,$obsoleteComputers,$unneededContentFiles)
    $CleanupManager.PerformCleanup($CleanupScope)

it's works fine on upstream. but on downstream gives this error:

The WSUS administration console was unable to connect to the WSUS Server Database.
    Verify that SQL server is running on the WSUS Server. If the problem persists, try restarting SQL.
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.
    The statement has been terminated.
    Source
    .Net SqlClient Data Provider
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.SoapExceptionProcessor.DeserializeAndThrow(SoapException soapException)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.DatabaseAccess.AdminDataAccessProxy.ExecuteSPGetUpdateServerStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, String updateScopeXml, String computerTargetScopeXml, String preferredCulture, ExtendedPublicationState publicationState, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetStatus(UpdateSources updateSources, Boolean includeDownstreamComputers, UpdateScope updatesToInclude, ComputerTargetScope computersToInclude, UpdateServerStatusPropertiesToGet propertiesToGet)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Internal.BaseApi.UpdateServer.GetReplicaStatus(UpdateSources updateSources)
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Common.CachedUpdateServerStatus.GetFreshObjectForCache()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.AdminApiAccess.CachedObject.GetFromCache()
       at Microsoft.UpdateServices.UI.SnapIn.Pages.ServerSummaryPage.backgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)

what could be the problem?
    thanks in advanced.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:43 AM

Answers

• upstream: windows server 2008 (with SP2) + Microsoft SQL Server Enterprise Edition 2005 (9.00.5069.00)

downstream: windows server 2008 R2 (with SP1) + MS SQL (Windows Internal Database)

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException -- Timeout expired. 

Regarding the WSUS Timeout error on the downstream replica server with the Windows Internal Database, I would invite you to review this blog article series from PatchZone.org that I just completed yesterday. If the replica server is not experiencing synchronization issues, but only challenges with the cleanup via the PowerShell script, I'm certain that this series will help. In short, because the upstream server is on a back-end SQL Enterprise Edition database, it has a lot more resources to deal with the demands of a cleanup, than a locally installed WID will have on the machine competing for those resources to engage with ASP.NET and manage the PS.exe process.

WSUS Timeout Issues:

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:25 PM