none
Hyper-V 2012 and NIC Teaming, causes Hyper-V service to fail

Question

• I was just curious if the configuration I'm attempting is supported or not. I know that with the release of Server 2012, NIC teaming is now supported, but I’m unsure to what level once you add Hyper-V to the mix.

Basically this is what I'm attempting, i have a 1GB NIC, and 10GB NIC in my server. I then created two teams, based on the following:

1GB NIC -> Team1

Virtual Adapter 1 = VLAN 2

Virtual Adapter 2 = VLAN 3

Virtual Adapter 3 = VLAN 4

10GB NIC -> Team 2

Virtual Adapter 1 = VLAN 5 (dedicated VLAN for Live Migration traffic)

Virtual Adapter 2 = Trunk (converted to VSwitch)

After setting up this two node cluster, it appears that node 1 works fine, but node 2 does not. Any VM residing on node has no network connectivity.

I've also run into another issue, in that Hyper-V and the VMM agents fail on both servers regularly, after receiving a bunch of the following warnings in the system log:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-MsLbfoSysEvtProvider
    Date:          11/6/2012 12:55:13 AM
    Event ID:      16946
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Warning
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      Node2.mydomain.com
    Description:
    Use of Vlan detected on non-default Team Nic Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver #7
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-MsLbfoSysEvtProvider" Guid="{387ed463-8b1b-42c9-9ef0-803fdfd5d94e}" EventSourceName="MsLbfoProvider" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="32768">16946</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>3</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-11-06T06:55:13.363649100Z" />
        <EventRecordID>20403</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="5152" />
        <Channel>System</Channel>
        <Computer>Node2.mydomain.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="DriverObject">
        </Data>
        <Data Name="Member">Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver #7</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by Boce1 Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 07, 2012 7:33 PM

Answers

• So you've created a NIC team on the 10 GbE NICs, created 2 team interfaces (tNICs), and then attached a virtual switch to the team interface called Shared.

That's not supported.  A team must be dedicated to a virtual switch if you're going to attach a virtual switch to it.

To get the results you want, you need to look at converged fabrics: http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=12646

• Marked as answer by Boce1 Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:30 PM

All replies

• It appears that you are attempting to team NICs that are on different physical VLANs.

Is this accurate?  What are you attempting to accomplish?

Teaming is not designed to sort out the proper VLAN for the traffic, the assumption is that all NICs in a Team are on the same physical segemnet.  And having individual team members on different VLANs also does not give any type of failover, link aggregation, or any other benefits of teaming.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:06 PM
  • No, not quite.  I'm teaming two 1GB NIC's that have multiple VLANs trunked to them, and then I'm creating a virtual NIC for each of the VLANs.  Then on the 10GB NIC's, i'm once again teaming two 10GB physical NIC's together that have approximately 25 VLAN's trunked.  I am then creating a virtual NIC specifically for Live Migration traffic, and then a 2nd virtual NIC for VM use.
    Wednesday, November 07, 2012 8:25 PM
  • Hi,

So do you mean you have a two node Hyper-V cluster, each node have 4 physical NIC, two 1GB NIC, two 10GB NIC.

> I am then creating a virtual NIC specifically for Live Migration traffic, and then a 2nd virtual NIC for VM use.

We do live migration on physical hyper-V Host, so live migration use the 10 GB teaming network, what do you mean create virtual NIC for Live migration traffic?

If your 2nd virtual NIC is Internal network, it not change teaming NIC settings. If the 2nd virtual NIC is external network, it replace the position of the Physical teaming NIC, then you can use the virtual NIC for live migration traffic.

Check that and give us feedback for further troubleshooting.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Managing Virtual Networks
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732197(v=WS.10).aspx
    Hyper-V Virtual Switch Overview
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831823.aspx

Hope this helps!

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 08, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Apparently there is some confusion as to what i am refering to when I reference a virtual NIC.  Technically what I am referencing is an lbfo team nic, that is part of a lbfo team.

In essence what I have done is the following.

Lets assume I have 4 physical network adapters, 2 1GB NIC's named NIC1, and NIC2, and two 10GB NIC's named NIC3, and NIC4.

I then created 2 teams, comprised of NIC1, and NIC2, in Team1, and NIC3, and NIC4 in Team2, by running the following powershell cmdlets:

New-NetLbfoTeam -Name "Team1" -TeamMembers "NIC1","NIC2"

New-NetLbfoTeam -Name "Team2" -TeamMembers "NIC3","NIC4"

Then for the 10GB team I created two LBFO Team NIC's by running the following:

Add-NetLbfoTeamNic -Team "Team2" -VlanID 5 -Name "LiveMigration"

Add-NetLbfoTeamNic -Team "Team2" -VlanID 0 -Name "Shared"

Then I assigned an IP address to LiveMigration interface on each of the servers.

New-NetIPAddress -InterfaceAlias "LiveMigration" -IPAddress 192.168.1.x -PrefixLength 24

At this point via Hyper-V Manager, i created a external vswitch, utilizing the Shared NIC which shows up in the drop down as "Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver #7"

Ultimately the vswitch on one server works, and the vswitch on the other server does not.  Also, the LiveMigration lbfo team nic's work fine on both servers, and they can communicate with each other just fine, the same is true for all other lbfo team nic's configured via Team1.

If you need any additional clarification, please let me know.

NIC Teaming Overview

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831648.aspx

Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:02 PM
  • Hi,

Could you please run the BPA and show the result? Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Unfortunately the results are too big for a post.  needless to say, there was only one potential problem, which I have provided below.  Keep in mind, we are not running Hyper-V Replica, so I'm pretty sure this can be ignored.

ResultNumber : 25
    ResultId     : 2199062023
    ModelId      : Microsoft/Windows/Hyper-V
    SubModelId   :
    RuleId       : 43
    ComputerName : Node2
    Context      :
    Source       : Node2
    Severity     : Error
    Category     : Configuration
    Title        : To participate in replication, servers in failover clusters must have a Hyper-V Replica Broker
                   configured
    Problem      : For failover clusters, Hyper-V Replica requires the use of a Hyper-V Replica Broker name instead of an
                   individual server name.
    Impact       : If the virtual machine is moved to a different failover cluster node, replication cannot continue.
    Resolution   : Use Failover Cluster Manager to configure the Hyper-V Replica Broker. In Hyper-V Manager, ensure that
                   the replication configuration uses the Hyper-V Replica Broker name as the server name.
    Compliance   :
    Help         : http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=228023
    Excluded     : False

Monday, November 12, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi,

Please collect the following information:

1. Get the Outputs of this powershell commands:
    Get-NetLbfoTeam
    Get-NetLbfoTeamMember
    Get-NetLbfoTeamNic

2. Enable Analitical Logs in Windows
    Open Event Viewer ->
    View - > click on Show
    Analitic and Debug Logs
    then go to Windows ->
    MsLbfoProvider -> Operational ->
    Enable

Thanks.

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, November 19, 2012 1:25 PM
  • So you've created a NIC team on the 10 GbE NICs, created 2 team interfaces (tNICs), and then attached a virtual switch to the team interface called Shared.

That's not supported.  A team must be dedicated to a virtual switch if you're going to attach a virtual switch to it.

To get the results you want, you need to look at converged fabrics: http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=12646

• Marked as answer by Boce1 Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:52 PM
    Tuesday, November 20, 2012 5:30 PM
  • Thank you Aidan, that was my assumption, I just couldn't find anywhere where that was specifically stated.

Roland

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:52 PM
  • It was covered in one of the TechEd 2012 sessions - can't remember the exact one but it's on the TechEd 2012 Channel 9 site.
    Friday, November 23, 2012 2:59 PM