none
The Windows Server Backup services has stopped

Question

• Hi, my system is windows 2008 R2, I'm trying to find, but still cannot success the soltuin. Please help.

A fatal error occurred during a windows server backup snap-in (Wbadmin.msc) operation.

Error detail:

The windows server backup service has stopped.

Close Wbadmin.msc and then restart it.

Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Arthur,

I didnt follow the step to clean boot, but before you reply, i found an article that suggest to run WBADMIN DELETE CATALOG. So it works for me. I still be able to restore data from backup media, eventhough the catalog is deleted.

Thank you!

Alikhani,

During the starting the wbadmin.msc, in the system log, says that Block Level Backup engine service unexpectly stopped. Event ID7031.

Thank you all.

Nikorn Soemklang

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

Please test the issue in Clean Boot. For the detailed steps of how to boot into Clean Boot, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista or Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please test the issue in Clean Boot. For the detailed steps of how to boot into Clean Boot, please refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista or Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

What’s the result in Clean Boot?

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:30 AM
  • Can you please provide us any Warning or Error events regarding to this problem?

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:45 AM
  • Hi Arthur,

I didnt follow the step to clean boot, but before you reply, i found an article that suggest to run WBADMIN DELETE CATALOG. So it works for me. I still be able to restore data from backup media, eventhough the catalog is deleted.

Thank you!

Alikhani,

During the starting the wbadmin.msc, in the system log, says that Block Level Backup engine service unexpectly stopped. Event ID7031.

Thank you all.

Nikorn Soemklang

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Hi,

I had the same problem and spent a good day looking through all different solutions on the web. Eventually i decided to stop the already crated 'Backup Schedule' and then re-creating it again. So far seems to be working and a backup is currently in progress.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Khafaji_M

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 11:45 AM
  • Thanks. It is help me to. But:

Deletes the backup catalog on the local computer. Use this subcommand only if the backup catalog on this computer is corrupted and you have no backups stored at another location that you can use to restore the catalog.
    This subcommand applies only to Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2

I run this command on Windows Server 2012 )
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:55 PM
  • I had this same issue on my Windows 2012 Ess Sever.

Backup Service would stop. 

It was saying a backup was running in the Dashboard, but was stuck at a % and not moving.

Way I fixed it:

1. Remove/backup the log files: C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsServerBackup

2. Uninstall the feature: "windows backup server" 

3. Restart the Server

4. Install the feature: "windows backup server"

5. Open Cmd (with admin rights) run:

wbadmin delete catalog
    C:\Windows\system32>wbadmin delete catalog
    wbadmin 1.0 - Backup command-line tool
    (C) Copyright 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Are you sure that you want to delete the backup catalog? If you delete the
    catalog, you will need to create a new set of backups.
    [Y] Yes [N] No y

The backup catalog has been successfully deleted.

C:\Windows\system32>

6. Start the Backup Service

7. Recreate the backup Job and Services.

Done!

Kind Regards,
    Steffen Duelund
    Systems Engineer 

W: www.ovalis.com.au

• Proposed as answer by SDuelund Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:20 AM
    Wednesday, June 05, 2013 12:17 AM
  • After installing Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services on Windows server 2012r2 all hell broke out including windows backup not working. I did what you said and it worked a treat. Many thanks!!!

Monday, April 07, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Thank you, I can confirm that this solution works on Server 2012 R2.  

I was having a similar issue to this: https://exchangemaster.wordpress.com/2013/06/ where Windows Server Backup would not startup and the powershell commands this Jedi suggested do not work.  The solution SDuelund works and allowed me to go and enjoy my weekend.  Thank you

Sunday, May 11, 2014 1:50 PM
  • Thanks  Steffen Dueland, I had the same issue in windows 2008 R2, your step help to resolve the same.

Mukesh Panchal.

Monday, July 21, 2014 2:21 PM