none
MSCS support, one physical node, one virtual node in an cluster

Question

• Is clustering Windows 2003/2008 server across one physical node and one virtual node on supported in a production environment by Microsoft? The attempt is to cluster vCenter server. I know VMware has Server Heartbeat but the client is reluctant to use it, they are also reluctant to virtualize both servers. Thanks.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 6:45 PM

Answers

• In 2008 as long as it passes Validate it is supported.  Do you know how to make vCenter highly available in WSFC?  If so, what steps are you following?
    David A. Bermingham, Director of Product Management, SteelEye Technology
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Remember that clustering W2K3 is still bound by the rules for the Windows Server Catalog/HCL for supported hardware.

W2K8 doesn't care - as long as it passes Cluster Validation, it's technically a valid architecture.

So in terms of W2K3 I'd say no.

In terms of W2K8 technically yes, but I wouldn't do it.

Allan Hirt Blog: http://www.sqlha.com/blog Author: Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering (out now!)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:03 PM

All replies

• In 2008 as long as it passes Validate it is supported.  Do you know how to make vCenter highly available in WSFC?  If so, what steps are you following?
    David A. Bermingham, Director of Product Management, SteelEye Technology
    Friday, September 11, 2009 8:29 PM
  • Remember that clustering W2K3 is still bound by the rules for the Windows Server Catalog/HCL for supported hardware.

W2K8 doesn't care - as long as it passes Cluster Validation, it's technically a valid architecture.

So in terms of W2K3 I'd say no.

In terms of W2K8 technically yes, but I wouldn't do it.

Allan Hirt Blog: http://www.sqlha.com/blog Author: Pro SQL Server 2008 Failover Clustering (out now!)
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:03 PM
  • I don't think that it will pass validation or it will be supported because the validation test will check for:

1-    Hardware differences.

2-    Drivers & firmware  differences.

3-    Storage arbitration.

In a physical – virtual configuration all of this tests will fail. So I think that you need to setup a two virtual nodes cluster or a two identical physical nodes cluster.

Saturday, May 12, 2012 9:55 AM