none
WiFi through Windows server on Mac not working

Question

• Hello,

My mom's school had recently gotten a new server, a Windows 2008R2, to help make their internet connection better. The only problem is, now our macbooks can't connect to the internet in the building, with an ethernet cable or through the wifi. It worked fine before the server was set up.

The mac can connect to the wireless, but there is no internet connection. Same with an ethernet cable- even using a cable that works with one of the windows computers at the school it can't connect.

My question is, do you have an idea what the problem could be? My guess is the server doesn't allow macs, so how can I fix this? We use our macbooks for doing office work, specifically a macbook air.

The parent who set up the server doesn't know what is wrong, and doesn't know macs, so that's why I am turning to the internet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:58 PM

Answers

• Hello,

internet connectivity is not based on Windows or MAC. It is based on a correct configured network and correct DNS settings on the network cards. For MAC setup please ask in the MAC forums. For the Windows server please post an unedited ipconfig /all and also describe how the network is built, hopefully it looks similar to:

internet > router WAN port > router LAN port > switch > all computers

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:11 PM