none
Windows 2008 R2 SP1 won't install

Question

• I try to install Windows 2008 R2 SP1 on a Domain Controller and I get "The remote procedure call failed" Error RPC_S_CALL_FAILED (0x800706be) I tried running the update tool KB947821-V14-x64 but it just runs forever and never ends. RPC is running, and this is a new server without anything that should prevent the update.

TEK
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 2:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue may be due to a previous failed update installation. You can rename the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, then reboot the server, it’s will auto recreate a new SoftwareDistribution folder and run Windows Update again, apply all update to see if the same issue still exists.

You can also try to reboot the server then run KB947821-V14-x64 again. Please refer to this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2461206

Regards,

Dollar Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Technology changes life……
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:05 AM
  • actually, I rebooted and the hotfix worked. Now it is installing, thanks!!!
    TEK
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue may be due to a previous failed update installation. You can rename the folder C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, then reboot the server, it’s will auto recreate a new SoftwareDistribution folder and run Windows Update again, apply all update to see if the same issue still exists.

You can also try to reboot the server then run KB947821-V14-x64 again. Please refer to this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2461206

Regards,

Dollar Wang

Forum Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

Looking forward to your feedback.

Monday, December 19, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Change folder did not work, rebooted. Also when i try to install the system update, I get an installer error.
    TEK
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:25 PM
  • actually, I rebooted and the hotfix worked. Now it is installing, thanks!!!
    TEK
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:46 PM