none
Desktop icon label drop shadow issue on RDS enabled Windows 2008R2

Question

• Hi,

I open this new question even if there is one similar on the forum because the other one is marked as answered but it isn't at all.

Here's the issue :

I have 12 Windows 2008 R2 with Remote Desktop Service role installed. This servers are used as desktops for all my users so I need to apply a Corporate Wallpaper.

So I have enabled on each RDS :

- Desktop experience

- Visual effects for best appearence

- Last video driver

- SP1 and last updates

The issue is that the shadow under desktop icon labels appears and if I mouse-over then it disappears... and not appears anymore... and if I resize or refresh it appears again... It's really a bad bug. This happens on the console too.

I have tried to play with backgroud color to change font color but my wallpaper have white and dark zones...

If I remove RDS role, the drop shadow works fine back.

Do you have any idea of the solution for this issue?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Technology changes life……
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Dear Customer,

Your question is a bug and falls into the paid support category which requires a more in-depth level of support.  Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Best Regard,

Kevin Ni

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, September 06, 2011 6:17 AM
  • I am sorry but I have unmarked as answered because in my opinion it's not.

How a bug (an error of programming by Microsoft) could fall into a paid support?

I think a bug should fall into a free available hotfix. The Windows 2008 R2 and Remote desktop CAL aren't free of charge so they should work correctly.

Best regards,

Kevin J.

Monday, September 12, 2011 9:24 AM
  • I have the exact same issue in two seperate and entirely different hardware domains.

The issue is, i believe, also addressed here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/8e3fba8b-6362-48bb-8dd9-417a669fb265/

In this thread it is not being marked as a bug and therefor paid, a contradiction and a dual standard in my opinion.

I can add that this is not client dependant, VMs, physical, XP, Win7, Win2008 and wyse terminals all suffer the issue which must be server side.

Please advise.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 10:57 AM
  • This is a very annoying problem. As is mentioned in another post, the top left icon behaves correctly and the shadow does not change or go away. This indicates that there is a problem in the coding, and it needs to be addressed, free of charge.

Although we must often resort to workarounds, a workaround is not a fix. For a product that costs as much as this one does, which is a lot, we should get some pretty good support out of it, not to mention bug fix updates. Dont' even get me started on folders boucing to the bottom of the view while using windows explorer...

Microsoft: We all use your product, we all appreciate many of the features, but for goodness sake, fix bugs for us.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:03 PM
  • I just wanted to pipe-in that we are having the same issue with multiple 2008 R2 RDSH servers.  It's clearly a bug and clearly should not fall into the category of paid support.  I look forward to hearing about a solution from Microsoft SOON.
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 6:39 PM
  • I just encountered the same issue.  I haven't worked with RDS for about 6 months and had forgotten about this little gem.  The first time I encountered it was with an entirely different employer, different installation media, different server brand/hardware/drivers, procedures...etc...over a year ago.
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:44 PM
  • I have the same issue on Windows Server 2012.

I can reproduce it on any other machine.

For some reason the top left icon is never affected, doesn't matter which one it is.

Saturday, January 26, 2013 1:41 PM
  • Does the problem still exist in Windows Server 2012 R2?

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:22 PM
  • Yes it does still exist on Server 2012 R2. I have an RDS server that the problem is occurring on.
    Tuesday, June 03, 2014 12:35 AM