none
DFS Namespace with multiple servers w/o replication

Question

• Is the below scenario supported for DFS Namespace.

Namespace \\Home\Users and in here there would be multiple sources for this namespace (\\server1\users, \\server2\users, \\server3\users, etc)

Users will be on one of the servers but not all (no replication)  For example \\server1\users\user1, \\server1\users\user2, \\server2\users\user3, \\server2\users\user4, etc.  

Now I know this will work if I add each user folder (user1, user2, user3) to the namespace root but I only want to add \\server1\users to the root.  That way when I happen to create \\server3\users\user5 I don't have to add it to the namespace root.  All I would have to do is create \\server3\users\user5 folder it is automatically recognized as \\Home\Users\user5. 

Friday, March 02, 2012 7:12 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If we set like you said (\\home\users with folder targets \\server1\users, \\server2\users etc)

DFS namespace will work like this:

When a user (user1) trying to access \\home\users\user1, it will first access \\home\users. DFS will direct the user to one of its folder targets. If the user is directed to \\server1\users which contain the folder "folder1", then user will get the data. But if user is directed to \\server2\users which do not have the folder, an error will be returned.

Thus your settings will not work like that. You will have to set replication to sync all the "users" folders. This will help direct users to local server instead of a remote one, and of cource it will use more disk space on each server.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 09, 2012 7:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't know about supported - someone from Microsoft would be best to comment on that.

You can obviously do this, but you're going to run into problems with roaming users if you do this with the default settings. When a user roams from one site to another, they will attempt to choose the DFS replica server local to them, meaning when they're away from the site that really does have their home directory, they won't see it (assuming you use the DFS namespace in the profile directory field).

For people that never traverse sites (in the AD context of the word), they won't have any problems as long as the server is available, but it's a very rare business these days where some people don't roam.

Cheers,
    Lain

Saturday, March 03, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

If we set like you said (\\home\users with folder targets \\server1\users, \\server2\users etc)

DFS namespace will work like this:

When a user (user1) trying to access \\home\users\user1, it will first access \\home\users. DFS will direct the user to one of its folder targets. If the user is directed to \\server1\users which contain the folder "folder1", then user will get the data. But if user is directed to \\server2\users which do not have the folder, an error will be returned.

Thus your settings will not work like that. You will have to set replication to sync all the "users" folders. This will help direct users to local server instead of a remote one, and of cource it will use more disk space on each server.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 09, 2012 7:07 AM