none
Hyper-V Home Lab Question

Question

• Hello Everyone:

Couple weeks ago I bought two servers to create a home lab, a DL380 G5 (8GB Memory) and a DL380 G3 (3GB Memory) server.  Following are the things that I have done so far with the lab.

1.  Created a domain controller on G3 2008 32bit as the server is not 64 bit.

2. Installed Hyper-V 2008 R2 Enterprise Core on DL380 G5

3. Once Hyper-V was installed, I installed two VM 2008 R2 servers on the DL380 G5.

4. Divided up the FSMO's between the two VM DC's and demoted the G3 and shut it off (it was too loud!)

5. Because I can't afford the Disk Storage SAS hard drives for the DL 380 G5, I just attached a 500GB USB Hard disk.

6. All of the VM's are on the USB Hard Drive currently.  I have one workstation Windows 7, Two DC's and Two Plain servers.

7. On the two plain VM's I plan on trying out RDS and SQL on in a clustered environment.

The clustering part brings me to my question:

Is there a way I can simulate using the USB drive central storage between the clusters?  I want to create the cluster but not sure how I can accomplish it with only one USB drive attached to the server.

I am open to the idea of spending $100-$200 for a NAS solution, but #1.  I am not sure which one to get because most of them seem to be USB.  #2.  I am not sure how that will work, so if someone can enlighten me that would be great.

I also downloaded Windows Storage Server R2 and tried to create a VM on the Hyper-V, it failed miserably, not sure what the requirements are for the Storage Server, If I am able to successfully install storage server as VM, will this help me create a centralized storage for the cluster using USB hard drive?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

FYI, eventually in future, I want to try to get another DL 380 and cluster the Hyper-V itself so that I can try out live motion etc, but since this is so far out in future right now, I don't want that to be an hinderence in what I am trying to accomplish in short term.  However, I will take suggestions!

Adam

Monday, May 16, 2011 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It’s impossible to create a cluster between Hyper-V guest virtual machines using USB hard drive. You need to install iSCSI Target on a computer and then create a target for the cluster.

Here are some more guides.

Creating HA VMs for Hyper-V with Failover Clustering using FREE Microsoft iSCSI Target 3.3

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2011/04/18/creating-ha-vms-for-hyper-v-with-failover-clustering-using-free-microsoft-iscsi-target-3-3.aspx

Whitepaper: How to Build a Hyper-V Cluster Using the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target v3.3

http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=11164

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

By the way, Windows Storage Server is an OEM product, you have to contact the OEM vendor if you want to use it. However, as Microsoft iSCSI Target is free now, so I don’t think you need Windows Storage Server.

Best Regards,

Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Adamster Monday, May 16, 2011 2:03 PM
    Monday, May 16, 2011 1:57 PM

All replies