Manually Remove WSUS 3.0 SP1 from Server 2008

Question

• Outline:
    Server 2008 VM
    Roles: WDS, WSUS
    c: 60GB (System)
    d: 30GB (WDS storage)

I wanted to move WSUS off the C: drive so i created a new 100GB VDisk as E:
    Instead of moving the files, some of which i no longer wanted, i decided to remove WSUS as a role.
    This worked but would not allow me to reinstall WSUS afterwards to the new location.
    I found a few suggestions on how to resolve this (example 1) but none have resolved the issue.

So now im asking how do i REMOVE Wsus 3.0 SP1 from a Server 2008 SP2 OS, and re-install it?
    I tried removing the Role now but got an error as below, Error 1.

** Example 1**
    You can uninstall WSUS 3.0 SP1 through "Add/Remove Programs" and choose to
    delete all the items include:

WSUS 3.0 SP1 database
    Log files
    Downloaded update files.

If you cannot uninstall WSUS 3.0 SP1 through "Add/Remove Programs", please
    try the following steps to manually remove it:

1. Download the SDK to obtain MSIZAP

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d80355-7ab4-45b8-80e8-983a48d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

2. From a command prompt, type:
    MSIZAP T {2C0D7E35-EE6E-4DC7-BA13-2C68AEDEB59D}  ****************** Didn't work

3. From a command prompt, type: sc delete wsusservice

4. Again, From a command prompt, type:

MSIZAP T {2C0D7E35-EE6E-4DC7-BA13-2C68AEDEB59D} ****************** Didn't work

5. From a command prompt, type: iisreset

The MSIZAP switch "T" removes all info for given product code

6. Delete WSUS folder C:\Program Files\Update Services

7. Open IIS manager, delete all WSUS related virtual directory:

ApiRemoting30
    ClientWebService
    Content
    DssAuthWebService
    Inventory
    ReportingWebService
    Selfupdate
    ServerSyncWebService
    SimpleAuthWebService

** Error 1 **
    Removal failed.

Roles:

Windows Server Update Services
       Error: Attempt to un-install Windows Server Update Services failed with error code 0x80004005.  Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 10:34 AM

Answers

• The simple answer here is that you cannot use "Method #1" to remove a ROLE from a Windows Server 2008 server. Besides, your description indicates that you did successfully uninstall the ROLE, but your issue was with the attempt to reinstall WSUS; thus, it appears to me you currently do not have WSUS installed on this machine.

Second, to digress. . .
    > Instead of moving the files, some of which i no longer wanted, i decided to remove WSUS as a role.

1. If there are files in the store which you no longer need, the appropriate procedure is to use the Server Cleanup Wizard to clean the unneeded files. Unneeded files are determined by the lack of an Approval, and no client reporting the update as Needed.

2. Removing WSUS and the content store will only, unnecessarily, require you to download the entire content store again. Of course, if you've also deleted the database, then this is a non issue; if the database still exists, the approvals that are still present after installation will trigger an immediate download of all of the associated content.

> so i created a new 100GB VDisk as E:

Third, what do you mean by "VDisk"?

>This worked but would not allow me to reinstall WSUS afterwards to the new location.

The problem, most certainly, is your "new location". WSUS must be installed on LOCAL volumes.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:11 PM

All replies

• The simple answer here is that you cannot use "Method #1" to remove a ROLE from a Windows Server 2008 server. Besides, your description indicates that you did successfully uninstall the ROLE, but your issue was with the attempt to reinstall WSUS; thus, it appears to me you currently do not have WSUS installed on this machine.

Second, to digress. . .
    > Instead of moving the files, some of which i no longer wanted, i decided to remove WSUS as a role.

1. If there are files in the store which you no longer need, the appropriate procedure is to use the Server Cleanup Wizard to clean the unneeded files. Unneeded files are determined by the lack of an Approval, and no client reporting the update as Needed.

2. Removing WSUS and the content store will only, unnecessarily, require you to download the entire content store again. Of course, if you've also deleted the database, then this is a non issue; if the database still exists, the approvals that are still present after installation will trigger an immediate download of all of the associated content.

> so i created a new 100GB VDisk as E:

Third, what do you mean by "VDisk"?

>This worked but would not allow me to reinstall WSUS afterwards to the new location.

The problem, most certainly, is your "new location". WSUS must be installed on LOCAL volumes.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    My Blog: http://onsitechsolutions.spaces.live.com
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Hi,

I want to see if the information that Lawrence provided was helpful. Please keep us posted on your progress and let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

We are looking forward to your response.

Thanks
    Wednesday, October 07, 2009 7:18 AM
  • Sadly my description wasn't clear enough. The server is a Virtual Server, VDisk means Virtual Disk.

I tried Example 1 but i could not reinstall the role.
    I then restored The OS from a backup to a working version of WSUS.
    However further restores are no longer an option as the server is also running WDS and its live.

When i followed the other suggestions on removing the role none of them worked.
    I now have the WSUS role still installed but i am unable to remove it.

** Error 1 **
    Removal failed.

Roles:

Windows Server Update Services
       Error: Attempt to un-install Windows Server Update Services failed with error code 0x80004005.  Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component.

This i believe is because i have removed some part of WSUS (maybe the db or other component) so the entire role will no loger uninstall.

Regards,
    Conor
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 9:46 AM
  • Did you ever solve this?
    Thursday, December 09, 2010 11:53 AM