none
You have been logged on with a temporary profile: Admin account on Server 2008

Question

• I have an issue with two identical, new Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 servers. When setup was complete and I logged on for the first time, I set the password to a variant of the current domain admin password; 12samplepasS instead of the domain admin password of 12samplepass.

I changed the name of the server and rebooted. Logged in fine as "administrator".

I then joined the domain successfully and rebooted. I logged in as domain.com\administrator with password "12samplepass" and immediately received a "You have been logged on with a temporary profile".

I have tried all the steps outlined in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itpronetworking/thread/6098d7f7-9074-4142-9c12-dc09a5185580

No .bak entries exist and clearing the administrator entries on ProfileGuid, ProfileList, and deleting the C:\Users\Administrator folder have no effect.

One suggestion was changing the "state" to 256. Doing so now changes the message to indicate that the roaming profile cannot be found and Event Viewer shows:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
    Date:          7/19/2010 12:07:58 PM
    Event ID:      1521
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          DOMAIN\administrator
    Computer:      NAME.DOMAIN.com
    Description:
    Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights. 

DETAIL - The specified path is invalid.

I do not believe this domain uses roaming profiles.

Has anyone come up with a more solid fix?

Monday, July 19, 2010 4:30 PM

Answers

• Have you actually verified that the domain.com\administrator account set up with the roaming profile?

If so, is that location accessible from the server you installed - and does it actually contain the valid profiile?

Do you have fast logon optimization enabled on this server?

hth
    Marcin

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, July 26, 2010 6:10 AM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:40 PM

All replies

• Have you actually verified that the domain.com\administrator account set up with the roaming profile?

If so, is that location accessible from the server you installed - and does it actually contain the valid profiile?

Do you have fast logon optimization enabled on this server?

hth
    Marcin

• Marked as answer by Bruce-Liu Monday, July 26, 2010 6:10 AM
    Monday, July 19, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I want to add that it is generally best practice not to make the Administrator account a roaming profile since this account is vital for management purposes and should not be affected from network issues which can cause failures to load roaming profiles.
    Monday, July 19, 2010 5:03 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked with another domain user? Meanwhile, make sure the new Windows Server 2008 Standard R2 server has correct time synchronized with the Domain Controller.

Regards,

Bruce

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 6:49 AM
  • Hello,

the error itself sounds like networking problems, either as Marcin mentioned fast logon optimization is a problem or you don't have permissions on the folder where the profiles ar stored. Also make sure to use only domain DNS servers and that the time settings are correct.

For the administrator i would not configure a roaming profile, that account shouldn't be used normally, give it a strong password and store this on a safe place. Configure additional admin accounts for dailey use.

Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by TheyCallMe Monday, July 26, 2010 10:25 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 7:19 AM
  • Hi

I have been having the same problem for a couple of months, evrytime I created a user on the AD box and logged on to a workstation running Win7 it gave me the temp profile message. After removing the user from AD and re-creating it the next day, (wouldn't work if I did it straight away) it may fix the problem. After getting the shits doing this 50% the time I created a new user, I was determined to find out why or an easier fix.

What I did after I got the temp profile message again this morning. I removed any login.bat and Profile script path from the Profile Tab in Active Directory, left everything blank and tried again. WORKED ! Great, now I just have to find out why and whats wrong with my profile Path.

Good Luck everyone !

They Call Me...

Monday, July 26, 2010 10:32 PM