none
Software Installation - add, upgrade, remove, software installation folder

Question

• Hi,

I'm going to deploy software through GPO. I have some questions:

1) If I assign software in GPO will be this software replicate to all DC in my domain or this software is always stored on one DC ?

2) From what DC client download installation package  ? ( from DC on which I store my software or from sysvol on server in the same site ?

3) Is it possible and vise to use sysvol to replicate software to all DC if there is no will to use dfs ? If not what are alternatives to dfs in windows 2003 domain ?

4) Is it possible to uninstall software from one workstation through GPO if I install this software on all workstation in domain ? If yes will be possible to selectively uninstall  from another workstations later ?

5) Does anyone saw document how to upgrade assigment package if I have new software version with mst file ?

Any web links for software distribution in Windows 2003 are welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Xentri

Xentri
    Monday, June 13, 2011 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

To answer your questions:

1.    You need to create a shared network folder as a distribution point.

2.    Clients connect to the distribution point to download and install the software.

3.    It is not recommended to use sysvol to replicate the software installation package due to it will take high network bandwidth that may affect active directory replication. DFS is best distribution point and also you may create shared network folder as an alternative option.

4.    You may uninstall software via Software Installation Group Policy with the following two options:

l  Immediately uninstall the software from users and computers

l  Allow users to continue to use the software but prevent new installations

5.    You may read the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Upgrade an application

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783421(WS.10).aspx

For more information regarding Software Installation, please also refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To answer your questions:

1.    You need to create a shared network folder as a distribution point.

2.    Clients connect to the distribution point to download and install the software.

3.    It is not recommended to use sysvol to replicate the software installation package due to it will take high network bandwidth that may affect active directory replication. DFS is best distribution point and also you may create shared network folder as an alternative option.

4.    You may uninstall software via Software Installation Group Policy with the following two options:

l  Immediately uninstall the software from users and computers

l  Allow users to continue to use the software but prevent new installations

5.    You may read the following Microsoft TechNet article:

Upgrade an application

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783421(WS.10).aspx

For more information regarding Software Installation, please also refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2003 and in Windows Server 2008

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816102

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 9:15 AM
  • HI,

Thanks for replay. Having 60 sites and no DFS is bad. I have this situation and need solution like DFS.

Does anyone know how to resolve this problem without creating 60 GPO object, one for each site?

Maybe in DNS i can create record that will point to DC in site and I will create one GPO with this record ?

Best regards,

Xentri

Xentri
    Tuesday, June 14, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Hi,

As far as I know, you will have to create one GPO per site.

Regards,

Monday, June 20, 2011 2:55 AM