none
communications error 0x00000002

Question

• I have a 2008 R2 Server that has a shared printer.  When I go to my laptop that is connected to a domain and had windows 7 64 bit I get an cannot connect error 0x00000002 when I try to install the shared printer on my laptop.  Now when I log on to the laptop through an administrator account I can install no problem.  I cannot find any security settings that could be stopping this.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance

Eric Vanderveer
    www.ericvanderveer.com 

Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:41 PM

Answers

• open a command prompt and verify you can see the driver directory structure on the machine sharing the printer

c:\>dir \\server\print$

\\server\print$

:37 PM    <DIR>          .
    :37 PM    <DIR>          ..
    :40 AM    <DIR>          color
    :58 PM    <DIR>          IA64
    :04 PM    <DIR>          W32X86
    :57 AM    <DIR>          x64

\\server\prnproc$

:20 PM    <DIR>          .
    :20 PM    <DIR>          ..
    :28 AM    <DIR>          IA64
    :28 AM    <DIR>          W32X86
    :28 AM    <DIR>          WIN40
    :32 PM    <DIR>          x64

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Friday, July 01, 2011 4:45 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Set up a fake printer using some other driver.  If the laptop can connect there is something with the driver.  Error 2 is file not found but I do not know why non admin would get the error when admin does not.  When connecting to shares, the driver files are first copied to the users temp directory on the client.   If the driver has already been installed on the client, the spooler will examine the files and determine if the client installed driver needs to be updated, when not installed, the driver will be staged in the DriverStore, then the spooler will add the driver to the machine.

So, I guess the main question is, when are you getting the file not found error?

Friday, July 01, 2011 7:28 AM
    Answerer
  • Well it happens as soon as I try to connect to the shared printer.
    Friday, July 01, 2011 4:13 PM
  • open a command prompt and verify you can see the driver directory structure on the machine sharing the printer

c:\>dir \\server\print$

\\server\print$

:37 PM    <DIR>          .
    :37 PM    <DIR>          ..
    :40 AM    <DIR>          color
    :58 PM    <DIR>          IA64
    :04 PM    <DIR>          W32X86
    :57 AM    <DIR>          x64

\\server\prnproc$

:20 PM    <DIR>          .
    :20 PM    <DIR>          ..
    :28 AM    <DIR>          IA64
    :28 AM    <DIR>          W32X86
    :28 AM    <DIR>          WIN40
    :32 PM    <DIR>          x64

Friday, July 01, 2011 4:45 PM
    Answerer
  • Alan,

I am having this same issue on many Win 7 clients trying to install printers from a Win 2008 R2 print server.  I followed your advice on seeing if the shares were accessible from the client.  They are.  Another weird thing is I can add the printer using an IP address but not from the share name.  I know that should lead to a DNS issue but some printers can be added with no issue and others cannot and there does not seem to be a pattern to the ones that can't.  Also, after adding the printer by IP, I can go back and add the printer by using the share name with no errors.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi guys,

does your problematic printers using non-standard print processor (not winprint)?

It seems like good old problem with PendingFileRenameOperations. Check your %WINDIR%\System32\spool\prtprocs\x64 folder - does it contains numeric folders like 1,2,3 inside? If yes, delete them.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:20 PM