none
How to publish RemoteApps from RDSH server to RDWeb server?

Question

• I have the following in Windows 2008 R2 Server:

1x box running RD Licensing and RDWeb

farm.domain.com points to the 3 RDSH boxes. Clients are connecting to farm.domain.com/rdweb

RDSH1 has Word, Powerpoint
    RDSH2 has Outlook, Excel

How can I publish Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, and Excel to my RDweb server? I would like to see users launching application through farm.domain.com as that has public SSL rather than pointing to specific RDSH1 and RDSH2 server. Right now I have RDWeb enabled on RDSH1 and RDSH2 as well so if I click on an app it tries to connect directly to RDSH1 IP rather than using the mother IP which is my main RDWeb server (farm.domain.com).

Thanks

Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

You could use the main RDWeb to enumerate applications from both server instead of using the farm name. In this way applications from both server are shown in the Webacces interface.

If you only want to use a single name for enumeration you will need to install all applications on all RDSH servers.

regards Robert Maijen

Saturday, January 26, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Let's start again as I may have confused things.

I have the following:

RDSH + RDWeb Server => RemoteApp manager has "Calculator"  => IP = 35.35.35.35

RDSH + RDWeb Server => RemoteApp manager has "Adobe"        => IP = 25.25.25.25

In RDWebAccess.config of server "35.35.35.35" I have the following:

<ServerName>localhost;25.25.25.25</ServerName>

So, when I browse to https://35.35.35.35/RDWeb, I see both Calculator and Adobe Reader. BUT, Calculator launches with a different IP and Adobe Reader launches with a different IP for "Remote Computer" parameter. THIS IS NOT GOOD - as I have to now create duplicate username/passwords in two servers. It's just like running two separate RDWeb servers. How can I avoid this?

Both snapshots above are from RDWeb portal of same "35.35.35.35" server but notice how the Remote Computer IP is different    :(

How can I fix this?

Thanks

Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Hello,

This cannot be fixed as the applications run on the remote computer to which you need to connect.

Only other option is to create a farm. install both applications on both servers, create a farm en have the webaccess server to enumerate the farm instead of the two servers.

Also your setup you will need to configure the applications to allow access from a domain group instead of local group/users to avoid the multiple accounts problem

regards Robert Maijen

Sunday, January 27, 2013 10:17 AM
  • Hello,

This cannot be fixed as the applications run on the remote computer to which you need to connect.

Only other option is to create a farm. install both applications on both servers, create a farm en have the webaccess server to enumerate the farm instead of the two servers.

Also your setup you will need to configure the applications to allow access from a domain group instead of local group/users to avoid the multiple accounts problem

regards Robert Maijen

Thanks Robert. Two questions:

1- I can't install *both* program on *both* servers because the main reason why I am resorting to a second server is that my programs conflict with each other so they need to be installed on two different servers. Can Connection Broker help me? This is dissapointing because then I would have to get two SSL certificates and lots of headache if there is no work-around.

2- How do I configure the application to allow access from domain group instead of local users? Can you please detail a bit. 

***I have solved this by adding Domain Groups and Domain Computers to Remote Desktop Users, TS Web Access, and TS Computer Servers.

3- After application is given domain group/user access, if a user goes to File > Open, by default they land in domain member folder structure but I want them to land in DC folder structure because all my users folders are on DC server where users have different privileges to folders. What would be the best to give the impression and accessibility to DC folder structure?

I don't like UNC path or Drive Mapping if there is another solution to this!

Thanks again.

• Edited by Torontob Monday, January 28, 2013 4:16 AM
    Monday, January 28, 2013 2:25 AM
  • Hello,

1- what kind of certificate do you use?? If you have an internal certificate authority uou should be able to create a certificate that allows both server to be trusted. If you use an external certificate you will need to buy a different kind of certificate, one that allows mulitple servers to be trusted with the same certificate.

Second a session broker will not help you in this situation as this role is for load balancing sessions across servers in a farm. To be able to do so all servers must be identical with installed apps.

Is it a possibility to virtualize the applications??

2-You can add domain user groups to an application when creating/publishing them

3- This part I do not understand?

regards Robert Maijen

Monday, January 28, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Thanks again Robert.

1- what kind of certificate do you use?? If you have an internal certificate authority uou should be able to create a certificate that allows both server to be trusted. If you use an external certificate you will need to buy a different kind of certificate, one that allows mulitple servers to be trusted with the same certificate.

It's a public certificate that doesn't allow wild cards or multiple sub-domains. I guess I can buy another certificate from another provider which would certify the same domain. So, certifying same domain twice. Or live with cert issue for a while.

Second a session broker will not help you in this situation as this role is for load balancing sessions across servers in a farm. To be able to do so all servers must be identical with installed apps.

So, if two RDSH servers are involved, there is no way to give the impression that it's one server that has all the applications right? I thought this was also part of session broker or the whole purpose of a farm and gateway.

Is it a possibility to virtualize the applications??

Would that be using App-V? I find that a bit complex but willing to experiment. It's different versions of QuickBooks that I want to get to work so I appreciate input on this method as well.

2-You can add domain user groups to an application when creating/publishing them

Yes, I did that. I was also missing the allow for domain in Remote Desktop and RD Web Access.

3- This part I do not understand?

I guess I can use Folder Redirection in this case. Because user opens QuickBooks on 2nd server and their user private folders are on main RDWeb server then if they go to File > Open of quickbooks they only see the local RDSH server folder structure.

***Right now, I have both servers with RDWeb and the way I publish applications from 2nd server to first is to have RemoteApp published in RDWeb of both servers. Do I need RDWeb on both servers? If "NOT", what is the process to publish RemoteApps from RDSH (only) server to RDWeb server?

Thanks

Monday, January 28, 2013 4:59 PM
  • Anything to above questions please?

Thanks

Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:20 PM