none
WSUS 2012 maintenance window - auto restart

Question

• We've deployed some 2012 servers using the same old GPO's we are still using for our 2008R2 boxes;  the 2008R2 boxes restart no problem after updates; while the 2012 servers display a prompt that it will auto-restart in 3 days.  The behavoir we would like to see is that they restart without interaction - just like the 2008R2 boxes.

Is that no longer possible with 2012?  A quick look, and I cant see any new setting (GPO) that would "really force a reboot" - so any direction would be most helpful...

Thursday, October 25, 2012 8:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

WSUS Server 2012 is basically the same as the WSUS server 2008 r2.To force the automatic reboot to finish the update process, it is the same as the server 2008r2.You can refer to Windows Update and Automatic Reboots to force a reboot.

Regards,

Clarence

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, October 26, 2012 2:37 AM
  • seems I may have posted this too soon;  as it looks like a policy above as overriding mine...

I still would like to understand the use/function of the maintenance window - why is that needed when we are already setting the time to install updates? 

Friday, October 26, 2012 5:12 PM
  • For security reason,the prompt to restart is by design. when Windows Update automatically installs an update that needs a reboot, it proceeds with an automatic reboot. In order to make the updating process more convenient for you by preventing disruptions to your work, WU defaults to installing updates (and subsequently rebooting your computer) at 3:00AM.You can refer to the link I previously posted (http://blogs.technet.com/b/mu/archive/2008/10/02/windows-update-and-automatic-reboots.aspx)

In addition, you can enable the policy "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations.",then your system will never automatically reboot when a user is logged on to it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, October 29, 2012 7:51 AM
  • Sorry; let me close a few things on this.  All settings are correct on the GPO - the issue ended up being that a higher GPO had enabled "no auto-restart.." while mine had disabled "no auto-restart.."  I figure the higher one over rode mine because it also set another setting - which i thought didnt matter as long as I enable "Configure Automatic updates"...

Now my question has become, "What is the purpose of the Maintenance Window" and where/why would we use it - and how does if affect WSUS settings.  Do you have a link on that?

Monday, October 29, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Sorry; let me close a few things on this.  All settings are correct on the GPO - the issue ended up being that a higher GPO had enabled "no auto-restart.." while mine had disabled "no auto-restart.."  I figure the higher one over rode mine because it also set another setting - which i thought didnt matter as long as I enable "Configure Automatic updates"...

Now my question has become, "What is the purpose of the Maintenance Window" and where/why would we use it - and how does if affect WSUS settings.  Do you have a link on that?

I know you had disabled "no auto-restart.." and you want auto restart without the countdown prompt.I said above.It is by design.The goal of Windows Update is to always keep your computer as safe and secure as possible.  Therefore, if you decided that Windows Update should Install updates automatically, an automatic system reboot may be a part of the process.As a whole process,after you set option 4 "auto download and install the update...",if the update need to have a reboot to finish the updating process,then a countdown prompt is by design triggered to install the update!!Because you choose option 4 "auto download and install the update...".Even if you set the update to install at the set time,actually,the package installation is not installed until the reboot.So the purpose of the Maintenance Window is to finish the "auto download and install the update at the set time". If the countdown prompt is dismissed,we would complain about the auto reboot without prompt.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:52 AM
  • Thanks Clarence.

What I'm seeing when i go to Change settings, under Windows Update now is an Automatic Maintenance Window.  This is set for 3AM.  There used to be more options to set on this page.  This is what i would like help on understanding the role of this "window".  I have already set the times for which i want my updates to install via policy - and some servers are set to roll updates before 3AM.

SO; I will again ask my question, How does this "maintenance window" affect this? 

• Edited by gwin99 Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:38 PM not clear enough
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Thanks Clarence.

What I'm seeing when i go to Change settings, under Windows Update now is an Automatic Maintenance Window.  This is set for 3AM.  There used to be more options to set on this page.  This is what i would like help on understanding the role of this "window".  I have already set the times for which i want my updates to install via policy - and some servers are set to roll updates before 3AM.

SO; I will again ask my question, How does this "maintenance window" affect this? 

This "maintenance window" affects nothing if enable the policy under windows update.The GPO takes precedence over the Automatic Updates through Control Panel.That is,even if you set installing update on 2 a.m,it won't affect you set 3 a.m in the GPO.

You can enable the policy "remove access to use all windows update features' under user configuration to lock down options in Automatic Updates through Control Panel.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 2:47 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Clarence

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Monday, November 05, 2012 3:08 AM
  • Hey Clarence,

Our 2012 servers are setup as per the link you've provided.  But we have the same issue as gwin99.  The 2008r2 GPO is ignored on our Server 2012 machines.

Also as per gwin99, the terminology has changed.  When you go to view Windows Updates under Control Panel, it shows as Automatic Maintenance.  Anyone know if there is a new GPO that controls this so the Server 2012 automatic updates can be controlled by ad gpo.  Or is this something that needs to be controlled with SCCM 2012?

Thx,

Jeff

Friday, January 11, 2013 6:17 PM
  • Hi,

there is another thread with similar discussion:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/49671250-090a-454e-897d-2c450415e7a5

The GPO-Settings for WSUS are not fully applied on Server 2012.
    The time of automatic updates (maintanance window) and the reboot cannot be controlled by policy.

Monday, January 14, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Clarence

Hi Clarence;

thanks for wanting to take a second look at this...  the issue unfortunately remain.  As you can see from later posts, it is NOT an issue of a bad GPO-configuration.

If you had read my OP - it stated that we used the same GPOs - that means we didn't change, modify or make new ones.  I hadn't kept this thread up-to-date because we had ROOT (beta 2012) Policies that were getting changed frequently affecting my servers...

Once I removed that issue, it was clear the issue is, as Jeff stated, " 2008r2 GPO is ignored on our Server 2012 machines."

Any help you and the MS-Boys can give would us - would be greatly appreciated

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 1:45 PM
  • It's not a solution per se but details of what I've discovered can be found at:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/49671250-090a-454e-897d-2c450415e7a5 

Friday, February 22, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

WSUS Server 2012 is basically the same as the WSUS server 2008 r2.To force the automatic reboot to finish the update process, it is the same as the server 2008r2.You can refer to Windows Update and Automatic Reboots to force a reboot.

Regards,

Clarence

Please for the sake of the community, do not mark your post as the "Answer". This issue is not resolved - I have simply "joined" the conversations on the thread provided by dijm: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/49671250-090a-454e-897d-2c450415e7a5 .

Monday, April 08, 2013 8:15 PM
  • The GPO-Settings for WSUS are not fully applied on Server 2012.

True.

The time of automatic updates (maintanance window) and the reboot cannot be controlled by policy.

Not entirely true. The maintenance window for WS2012 can be controlled from policy settings in:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Maintenance Scheduler -> Maintenance Activation Boundary

These settings shipped in new templates with Win8/Win2012, so you won't find them in your 2003/2008/2008R2 GPMC unless you import updated templates. You can get more information on updating the templates from this Aug 2012 blog article.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2013)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Lawrence.Garvin
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:42 PM
  • We've deployed some 2012 servers using the same old GPO's we are still using for our 2008R2 boxes;  the 2008R2 boxes restart no problem after updates; while the 2012 servers display a prompt that it will auto-restart in 3 days.

Correct. This is new behavior in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. Read elsewhere in this thread the specific details for managing this new functionality.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Sunday, May 26, 2013 4:43 PM
  • We've deployed some 2012 servers using the same old GPO's we are still using for our 2008R2 boxes;  the 2008R2 boxes restart no problem after updates; while the 2012 servers display a prompt that it will auto-restart in 3 days.

Correct. This is new behavior in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012. Read elsewhere in this thread the specific details for managing this new functionality.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Sorry; I have not found elsewhere in this thread that will provide the same administrative options for handling windows updates in Server 2012 - as in Server 2008 R2 and previous server operating systems...

That is the issue here, not on what the new functionality is. Your reply is the equivalent of trying to sell cars with square tires after years of making them with round ones.  Only to watershed complaints about the square tires; telling customers to "go to our website to find our how to drive with square tires..."

This "new functionality" is just (maybe more) painful.  And its a catch-22.  If you use the Maintenance Activation Boundary, then it applies everyday - which no body wants to affect daily changes on a production server - nor change the way they have approved windows updates (which they've been doing for many years).  How would you ever track down an issue with an update if you applied them daily?  Those issues are sometimes run into weeks later. And if your not doing daily maintenance, then why have a setting set so?

And if you don't use this setting - because you will not change everything about the way you've applied updates for the past 10 or so years, your computer doesn't reboot upon installing updates if a user is logged in - it waits 3 days, then kicks randomly during the work day.  Doesn't this sound like progress you can get behind?

So, No.  The issue is not resolved. Perhaps a "Server 2012 Blue" will address this?  (don't tell anybody but, if I had my way, I would revert these back to server 2008 R2)

More accurate (from additional testing) and up to date traffic for this issue can be found on this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/49671250-090a-454e-897d-2c450415e7a5/ (also found elsewhere in this thread).
    • Edited by gwin99 Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:48 PM Edit
    Tuesday, June 04, 2013 1:45 PM
  • Sorry; I have not found elsewhere in this thread that will provide the same administrative options for handling windows updates in Server 2012 - as in Server 2008 R2 and previous server operating systems...

It doesn't exist. The behavior has CHANGED. My note about finding "elsewhere in the thread" was guidance on how to deal with the Win8/WS2012 behavior. To wit, it was in post immediately prior to the one you replied to .. posted one minute earlier. You manage the *Maintenance Event*, not the update installation event.

This "new functionality" is just (maybe more) painful. And its a catch-22. If you use the Maintenance Activation Boundary, then it applies everyday - which no body wants to affect daily changes on a production server - nor change the way they have approved windows updates (which they've been doing for many years).

Totally agree, but you're barking up the wrong tree. This is behavior imposed by the **WINDOWS** product group, not WSUS. There's nothing that can be done about it, except not use WS2012 -- which may prove to be more of a reality that has been considered.

So, No.  The issue is not resolved. Perhaps a "Server 2012 Blue" will address this? (don't tell anybody but, if I had my way, I would revert these back to server 2008 R2)

So would I, and a thousand other people I imagine. Such is the problem for using a common code base for both *CONSUMER* and *SERVER* operating systems. Apparently these days the **WINDOWS** team works in a vaccum of awareness and everything is about the single PC user at home ... Yes, this implementation of a "Maintenance Windows" is the dumbest thing since Windows ME ... nobody likes it ... but you only have two choices .. deal with it, or don't. Frankly I don't like either option either.
    More accurate (from additional testing) and up to date traffic for this issue can be found on this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserver8gen/thread/49671250-090a-454e-897d-2c450415e7a5/ (also found elsewhere in this thread).
    Thank you for the additional info, although I'm not grasping what that thread contributes to this conversation that I haven't already stated.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Tuesday, June 04, 2013 11:23 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks to gwin99 for raising this issue and to everyone else for their questions and comments. The feedback has been shared with the Windows product team and they are investigating options for improving the behavior. In the meantime, we have written some content to help explain the issue and the current options for configuring restart behavior. This appears in the section titled "Automatic Maintenance and changes to restart behavior after updates are applied by Windows Update" at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh994618.aspx#BKMK_WhatsNewEight. I expect this issue to also be covered in some more discoverable locations in the TechNet Library and in the Microsoft Knowledge Base soon.  

Thanks,

Justin [MSFT]

Thursday, June 06, 2013 11:34 PM
  • Hi,

I have been trying for a while now to manage to get a desired restart behavior for Server 2012 boxes in our production environment. My solution to this day is that I have been forced to disable automatic updates for Server 2012 boxes, because they restart randomly during working hours - which is NOT acceptable.

@Justin Hall: In the link you provided (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh994618.aspx#BKMK_WhatsNewEight) it says that "Because Windows Update is a part of Automatic Maintenance in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, its own internal schedule for setting a day and time to install updates is no longer effective. To help ensure consistent and predictable restart behavior for all devices and computers in your enterprise, including those that run Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, you can configure the following Group Policy settings:

• Computer Configuration|Policies|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Windows Update|Configure Automatic Updates 
    • Computer Configuration|Policies|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Windows Update|No auto-restart with logged on users 
    • Computer Configuration|Policies|Administrative Templates|Windows Components|Maintenance Scheduler|Maintenance Random Delay 

I thought that the line "its own internal schedule for setting a day and time to install updates is no longer effective" was referring to the policy "Configure Automatic Updates". Correct?

Question 1:

Why do we have to configure this policy setting if it does not apply to Windows 8 or Server 2012? That's a bit confusing to me... Correct me if I'm wrong.

In my Server 2012 testing environment I have configured the following settings and are still trying to figure out how to manage to get a desired restart behavior for Server 2012 boxes: 

1. Enabled the policy setting "Automatic Maintenance Activation Boundary" to 06:00 AM.

2. Enabled the policy setting "Automatic Maintenance Random Delay" to PT5M (5 minutes)

3. I have Disabled the policy setting "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" so that servers restarts even if someone are logged on.

4. Enabled the policy setting "Delay Restart for scheduled installations" and set it to 1 minute (don't know if this policy is needed or if it applies to Server 2012).

5. Done this to my servers: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2835627 And added and enabled the registry setting "AlwaysAutoRebootAtScheduledTime" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU".

Question 2:

Which scheduled time is this registry key referring to? Does this refer to the maintenance scheduled time (in my case 06:00 AM) or the scheduled time you specify under the policy setting "Configure Automatic Updates" - which you should not need to configure for Windows 8 or Server 2012 if I have understood this right?

Question 3:

Will this configuration make my 2012 servers boot automatically at approximately 06:05 AM after 3 days if there are an important update restart pending, regardless if there are people logged on to these servers? My goal is that my Server 2012 boxes will restart between 06:00 and 06:15 AM, if needed.

The BIG question:

Why can't Microsoft release a patch, for those who request it, that resolves this issue so that 2008R2 GPO settings for "Windows Update" also will apply to Server 2012? This is extremely frustrating and this issue have been wasting countless hours of my time these last weeks.

I have been trying and failing for so long now, that I am starting to give up. I need some new thoughts and inputs.

Any comments and suggestions will be appreciated.

Best regards.

Friday, June 07, 2013 10:17 AM
  • To achieve more acceptable behaviour in the interim we have considered something like this.

Enabling automated daily patch application

Disable the "Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Maintenance Configurator" scheduled task

Manually modify the "Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Regular Maintenance" task so that it only executes at say 3AM on Sunday.

Manually modify the "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AUScheduledInstall" task so that it only executes at say 3AM on Sunday.

To disable the "Maintenance Configurator" task we had to use the Sysinternals PsExec utility e.g.

psexec -s schtasks.exe /change /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\TaskScheduler\Maintenance Configurator" /DISABLE

That in combination with KB2835627 may result in something closer to previous behaviour.

Kenny

Slightly off topic but related

There appears to be no documentation for what is invoked by the "Regular Maintenance" task and while there is a column for Triggered By in the Task History it is not populated. So it is not clear if deferring this to run once a week is appropriate. By manually invoking the "Regular Maintenance" task and switching on logging on all tasks you might be able to work out what it does but you can't be sure that it doesn't conditionally invoke certain tasks. I have tried listing "Maintenance" tasks with this PowerShell ( sorry you may need to tidy up the formatting ) but I can't be sure if this is what "Regular Maintenance" kicks off.

Get-ChildItem 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Maintenance' | % { Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\$($_.PSChildName)" } | Select-Object Path | % { [xml]$taskxml = & schtasks /Query /XML /TN $_.Path
    if ( $taskxml.Task.Settings.Enabled -eq "true" ){
    if ( $taskxml.Task.Actions.Exec ){
    $taskaction = $taskxml.Task.Actions.Exec.Command + " " + $taskxml.Task.Actions.Exec.Arguments
    }
    if ( $taskxml.Task.Actions.ComHandler.ClassId ){ $taskaction = "ComHandler " + (Get-ItemProperty HKLM:\Software\Classes\CLSID\$($taskxml.Task.Actions.ComHandler.ClassId)\InProcServer32).'(default)'
    }
    "{0}: {1}" -f $_.Path, $taskaction
    }
    }

Friday, June 14, 2013 3:34 PM
  • Thanks to gwin99 for raising this issue and to everyone else for their questions and comments. The feedback has been shared with the Windows product team and they are investigating options for improving the behavior. In the meantime, we have written some content to help explain the issue and the current options for configuring restart behavior. This appears in the section titled "Automatic Maintenance and changes to restart behavior after updates are applied by Windows Update" at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh994618.aspx#BKMK_WhatsNewEight. I expect this issue to also be covered in some more discoverable locations in the TechNet Library and in the Microsoft Knowledge Base soon.

In addition, a 'workaround' using approval deadlines is described by Ben Herila in the WSUS Product Team blog in a post on June 10.

SolarWinds Head Geek

Friday, June 14, 2013 4:39 PM
  • We also found out way too late about this issue, whe have already deployed about 100 W2K12 servers ....

Been in contact with MS and they admit that the problem is 'by design', a solution will be provided with the release of W2012-R2/W8.1, this change also includes the WS2012/W8 RC.
    I requested to have a non official release of the fix as soon as possible, but they couldnt make any promises.

I would like to advise you all to report this to MS and create some more cases to put pressure on them (not sure if it will help, but at least we can try)

MCITP SA - MCP Active Directory - MCP Infrastructure - MCP Server Virtualization www.it101.eu

Saturday, June 22, 2013 12:05 PM
  • We also found out way too late about this issue, whe have already deployed about 100 W2K12 servers ....

Been in contact with MS and they admit that the problem is 'by design', a solution will be provided with the release of W2012-R2/W8.1, this change also includes the WS2012/W8 RC.
    I requested to have a non official release of the fix as soon as possible, but they couldnt make any promises.

I would like to advise you all to report this to MS and create some more cases to put pressure on them (not sure if it will help, but at least we can try)

MCITP SA - MCP Active Directory - MCP Infrastructure - MCP Server Virtualization www.it101.eu

How to force automatic restarts after important updates in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2835627/en-us

I have tried to install the cumulative update and set the registry but the server still doesnt auto reboot

Thursday, July 04, 2013 6:57 AM
  • Do I understand the KB correctly, that even with the Hotfix and the registry key, the computer automatically reboots THREE DAYS after the updates have been installed? And within three days, the behaviour is the same as before (Someone logs on to the server, does not notice the warning and after 15 minutes the server reboots)?

This is still stupid. With the registry key set, the server should reboot immediately, not after three days. Now, it is like the following:

MS publishes patches on Tuesday
    Server installs these patches on Wednesday at 3am
    Server reboots Saturday at 3am
    ... which is right during our weekend backup. 

Since we can't even specify a weekday for patching, there is no possibility to change this behaviour. Updates are always published on Tuesday, hence the reboot always happens on Saturday (unless someone does it manually before).

I think I really have to deploy a script that checks for a pending reboot on Wednesday night and then does it.

• Edited by svhelden Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:28 AM added information
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:10 AM
  • So .. at least on our file server, I'll let the following batch file run every Wednesday and Thursday morning:

reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" | find "RebootRequired"
    if not errorlevel 1 shutdown /r /t 10
    This way, the server will restart if there are updates requiring a reboot. BEFORE the weekend backup.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:45 AM
  • Passing some info from MS support team. See new fixes documented in MSKB 2885684 and distributed in cumulative rollup KB 2883201.

More Details can be found in

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2013/10/08/enabling-a-more-predictable-windows-update-experience-for-windows-8-and-windows-server-2012-kb-2885694.aspx

Windows 8.1 + WS 2012 R2 RTM also contain this update.

Thanks,

Justin [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by gwin99 Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 09, 2013 4:39 PM
  • Thanks much for combing back thru all of these to post the info Justin!  And I would like to take a moment to point out to Clarence and Lawrence, and anyone else confused about "support", to what a real answer looks like, for anything less is called "The Shaft" - and not a valid response in my book.

• Edited by gwin99 Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:27 PM extra love
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 3:21 PM
  • And I would like to take a moment to point out to [...] Lawrence, and anyone else confused about "support", to what a real answer looks like, for anything less is called "The Shaft" - and not a valid response in my book.

Personally I think this comment is out of line and is likely a factor of a complete misunderstanding of who I am and what my relationship in this forum is.

Furthermore, this thread, which actually spans regular posts over a one year period of time has been a moving target. So what's being posted *today* did not even exist in the knowledge base (or the product) a year ago. The information posted by Justin didn't even exist a month ago, so to use this new information and functionality to malign the responses you got earlier this summer that you didn't like (but were absolutely factual at the time) are just a bit disingenuous, at best, IMNSHO.

SolarWinds Head Geek
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence R Garvin

Friday, November 08, 2013 10:08 PM