none
Font size problem with RD on 2008 R2 server

Question

• Image tells more than thousand words

Server is a 2008 R2 box, which was originally installed with German UI language and changed by me to English afterwards - if that means anything. As you can see, the fonts became pretty unreadable today. Nothing has been done to accomplish this, except if there has been updates that could cause this, they might have been driven automatically.

I have tried to change fontdpi and applieddpi values from registry, without any luck. Doesn't seem to be related to DPI values. Seems like they just get even smaller, when adjusted.

Does anybody have any ideas what to do with this?

• Edited by The Absum Thursday, April 04, 2013 6:40 PM
    Thursday, April 04, 2013 6:39 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,

Aiden

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Aiden Cao
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 05, 2013 3:21 AM
  • Does this issue only affects the RD session? Howabout the pysical console session?

Have you installed the following hotfix before the registry changing as you mentioend?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2726399

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:18 AM
  • I don't know about physical console session, since there is quite an language barrier between me and the hosting provider. They don't speak English and I don't speak German. No possibility to test it myself either, since the server itself is about 800 miles away...

I have tried many KB fixes, not sure if I have tried that one already though, so I tested it. Doesn't seem to go through and the dialog message is pretty unreadable (attached below).

Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:41 PM
  • Please try to logon the server with the /admin swith, to check if this issue still occurs there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947723

try to import the following keys from other working server after a backup:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontDPI

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\GRE_Initialize

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\0001\Software\Fonts

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Hardware Profiles\Current\Software\Fonts

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Hardware Profiles\0001\Software\Fonts

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Monday, June 03, 2013 7:29 AM
  • Thanks for the resolution suggestion, but I can't test anymore since I have re-installed the server with clean OS and the issue is fixed for now.
    Monday, June 03, 2013 7:33 AM