none
Virtual Machine Manager Deployment

Question

• Hellon everyone,

Need your kindly suggestions again on my Hyper-V deployment. I have a small Hyper-V cluster, 2 nodes, 15 VM (to be imported) and storages / Switches / etc... Currently I installed SCVMM 2012 on one of the Hyper-V hosts by evalution mode. Please share me your points on below questions:

1. I need a strong reason to ask my boss to purchase SC and the super-expensive SQL Server. What is the reason you deploy SCVMM and/or other SC components? Is SC the only option for these tasks?

2. Shall I purchase another physical server for SCVMM? Or I simply install SCVMM and SQL on a hyper-v host (That's the current status)? Maybe install them on a VM?

Any reply will be appreciated.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:20 AM

Answers

• Hi,

As far as I know, SCVMM Management Server cannot be installed in a Hyper-V host. However, it can be installed in a virtual machine.

Microsoft System Center 2012 is a comprehensive management platform that enables you to more easily and efficiently manage your IT environments, including your server infrastructure and client devices.

With System Center 2012, you get the most cost effective and flexible platform for managing your traditional datacenters, private and public clouds, and client computers and devices.

In addition, for Microsoft System Center related questions, System Center related forums are highly recommended.

More information:

System Center 2012 Homepage

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hi famous404.

System Center is designed for scale.  It is designed for when there are high rates of provisioning.  User self-service.  etc.

In your environment of a two node Hyper-V cluster, it is not required.  The value it would bring is that additional management layer, the Service model and its associated patching and update controls.

Quite honestly, it is not needed by most small installations until they reach a certain number of hypervisors and require better controls over VM lifecycle, tracking, abstraction, or just a new way to manage because the built in management consoles no longer meet the needs or become difficult.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

• Marked as answer by Ge_Feng Monday, December 10, 2012 6:28 AM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, SCVMM Management Server cannot be installed in a Hyper-V host. However, it can be installed in a virtual machine.

Microsoft System Center 2012 is a comprehensive management platform that enables you to more easily and efficiently manage your IT environments, including your server infrastructure and client devices.

With System Center 2012, you get the most cost effective and flexible platform for managing your traditional datacenters, private and public clouds, and client computers and devices.

In addition, for Microsoft System Center related questions, System Center related forums are highly recommended.

More information:

System Center 2012 Homepage

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 06, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hi Jerery,

Thanks. Will close the thread and open another one in SC forums.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Hi famous404.

System Center is designed for scale.  It is designed for when there are high rates of provisioning.  User self-service.  etc.

In your environment of a two node Hyper-V cluster, it is not required.  The value it would bring is that additional management layer, the Service model and its associated patching and update controls.

Quite honestly, it is not needed by most small installations until they reach a certain number of hypervisors and require better controls over VM lifecycle, tracking, abstraction, or just a new way to manage because the built in management consoles no longer meet the needs or become difficult.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

• Marked as answer by Ge_Feng Monday, December 10, 2012 6:28 AM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Thanks BrianEh! Your point is valuble to us. As I said, that's why we should discuss a plan on forums. You will not only get what you want, but also get something more than you've expected.
    Monday, December 10, 2012 1:28 AM