none
NPAS Best Practices Analyzer fails on Server 2008 R2

General discussion

• Hello,

We have a number of Server 2008 R2 machines running NPAS to provide RRAS and associated NPS functionality. The NPAS BPA has been installed on all these machines, but it won't run; running from either the command line or the GUI produces the error:

The Best Practices Analyzer scan has failed.
    Index (zero-based) must be greater than or equal to zero and less than the size of the argument list.

Does anyone happen to know what might be wrong with this?

Thanks,

Sean

• Changed type Tiger Li Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:11 AM
    • Changed type Tiger Li Thursday, November 04, 2010 4:35 AM
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Sean,

Thanks for posting here.

Please download the installation packet from Microsoft site below:

Update for Best Practices Analyzer for Network Policy and Access Services for Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Edition (NPAS) (KB977239)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=99FAD12B-6579-4989-8224-21B140220CE0#AffinityDownloads

Meanwhile , please check if the resolution in the KB article below would help you to solve this issue:

Error "The Best Practices Analyzer scan has failed" when running Best Practice Analyzer on Windows Server 2008 R2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028818

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Thanks Tiger. The BPA is already installed and up to date, and the policy setting referenced in the KB is already 'not configured'. Any other ideas? :)
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Hi sean,

Thanks for update.

Which account was used to perform this utiltiy ? it should be a member of local administrators group.

And what's the .net framework version installed on that server ? if you installed 4.0 ,please temporarily remove it and try again.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 7:43 AM
  • Thanks. It was a domain admin account. The server does have .NET 4.0, but we had the same problem before this was installed.
    Friday, October 15, 2010 8:34 AM
  • Hi Sean,

Thanks for update.

Is there any errors recorded in event log ?

please uninstall 4.0 and reinstall ".net framework 3.5.1" feature with follow wizard on that server  ?

Meanwhiel, you might also like try perform "sfc /scannow" to check the system integrality.

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Friday, October 15, 2010 9:26 AM
  • Alas, that hasn't worked either...
    Saturday, October 16, 2010 10:19 AM
  • I am having this same error. Its not policy I triple checked and that update was already installed as soon as the role finished installing. I just setup a new remote desktop gateway with a locally generated key. I just started getting the error tonight if I figure it out I will let you know. Please do the same.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 3:29 AM
  • I think I am getting this error because I dont have any NPS policies setup. Can you confirm Sean?

Monday, October 25, 2010 11:10 PM
  • Sorry, not the case on my servers. Mine are all production servers with NPS policies for RRAS and RDG.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:37 AM
  • Was there every any solution for this?  I'm running into the same problem.

Thanks

-Andrew

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:46 PM
  • Unfortunately not. We haven't yet patched our RRAS servers with SP1, so it's possible that might improve things, but we still don't know the root cause.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:48 AM
  • FYI, we're still getting this problem following installation of SP1 (which has also broken IKEv2 RRAS VPNs with error 'Invalid Situation', so we're not impressed!).
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 10:55 AM
  • I also have this exact same issue on a new SBS 2011 system, as above the patch is installed as is .NET 4 (and I can't be bothered uninstalling things since I just got this system fully updated and ready to go).
    • Edited by dcstartiger Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:56 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:53 PM