none
DFS stopped replicating without any error

Question

• hi, i have DFS replication setup on two server 2008 r2 std, one in UK, another in US. we have site-to-site VPN tunnel on the hardware firewalls. when i setup the DFS replication it worked fine up to some extent, i mean replicated few folders and stopped. after further reading, now I increased the staging limit from 4GB to 40GB, did the pollAD and restarted the DFS replication service without any luck. there are no errors in the event log. i setup replication on few folders without creating any namespaces. please let me know if you need more info. i need to fix this. 
    Wednesday, July 06, 2011 10:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you please check if you can see any error event about DFS replication?

Thanks and Regards
    Scorpio_Milo
    View my MCP Certifications
    HP Enterprise Service: Solution Architect
    Microsoft Storage Team - File Cabinet Blog
    My Blog
    Contact me
    Thursday, July 07, 2011 3:34 AM
  • To root cause the issue you mention, DFSR logs will help a lot. Please increase the logging level and share the DFSR logs if you can.

From a command prompt, run below command to increase the logging level to 5.

wmic /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path dfsrmachineconfig set debuglogseverity=5

Now restart the service and add some files to any of your replication folder. After that please share the logs from C:\Windows\Debug. The DFSR logs will be named Dfsrxxx.log. Send the latest logs.

Friday, July 08, 2011 10:30 AM
  • hi Pankaj, i didnt create any namespace. i setup replication directly on the folder. cheers 

sorry i was on holiday these days.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:46 AM
  • This is ok, but still the logs will be there as I mentioned. Those will help in finding the root cause for your issue. Actually there can be any reason for the replication to not work. Please share logs if you can.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 8:34 AM
  • hi Pankaj, there are only two types of events logged. one is (event id 5014)

The DFS Replication service is stopping communication with partner HOUSTON01 for replication group Sales MAT due to an error. The service will retry the connection periodically. 

Additional Information: 

Error: 1726 (The remote procedure call failed.) 

Connection ID: 07F1823D-B430-4BE0-9561-DD93529E3FB0 

Replication Group ID: 137E8E54-30A9-4645-8E24-005BBF1D8018

second one (event id 5004)

The DFS Replication service successfully established an inbound connection with partner HOUSTON01 for replication group Sales MAT. 

Additional Information: 

Connection Address Used: HOUSTON01.EFC-aberdeen.com 

Connection ID: 07F1823D-B430-4BE0-9561-DD93529E3FB0 

Replication Group ID: 137E8E54-30A9-4645-8E24-005BBF1D8018

i can see few folders are replicated, but not all. cheers 

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 9:14 AM