none
Remote FX RDS requirements

Question

• Normally, I can figure just about anything out except for RemoteFX on Windows Server 2012 Datacenter version

Here is the scenario:

1)  I have two servers running Hyper-V let us call them Server A and Server B.  The video cards support RemoteFX

2)  I have installed the Remote Desktop Virtualization Host on Server A and on Server B

3)  Under Hyper-V, I can even add a RemoteFX graphics card to a VM

Here is the problem - says it cannot find license server on Server A or Server B- ok, I install license server on Server A, add CALS (50 per user), activate server, add to AD terminal server list, it shows success.  Still cannot find license server.

So I added Connection Broker and a few other pieces - same issue

When I go to RDS in Server manager, I have two options

1)  Overview - message states A RDS deployment does not exist in the server pool.

2)  Servers

So WHAT RDS features must be installed to simply use RemoteFX on a Hyper-V machine?  Do I already have too much installed?  Do I need to install VDI?  

As a side note, I need redirection as I want to use work images off my laptop through a VM - kind of like I do with VMWare Workstation but sick of the VMWare upgrade costs.  Is this the best way to go or should I be thinking about VDI.  performance and use of a webcam, accelerated graphics, etc. is key to this working.

Thanks

Tim

Sunday, February 17, 2013 7:15 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Have a look at this post on the forum where the requirements for RemoteFX are discussed http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/650eadfe-16bb-42fa-8313-8051ac8dea5c.

Danny van Dam, Citrix CCIA/CCEE Microsoft MCSE Server Infrastructure/MCSE Desktop Infrastructure/MCSA Server 2008, Cisco CCNA, VMware VCP 3/4/5 http://www.citrix-guru.com http://www.rds-support.eu

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:58 AM
  • Hi Danny

All I can find are links like what you suggested for hardware requirements - I have all of that.  I need what RDS components must be installed and configured!  Everywhere is states you only need the virtualization host; however, then I get the license notification.  I add the license server as stated above and yet it still does not see the license server - so do I load more components or is there some hidden setting or required powershell command for the servers to see the license?

Thanks

Tim

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:23 PM
  • In the event viewer, I see this:

The RD Session Host server cannot register 'TERMSRV' Service Principal Name to be used for server authentication. The following error occured: The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

Trying to find solutions on that but no luck just yet...

Ironically, occurred is misspelled in the error message :)

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:29 PM
  • Getting somewhere - when I do this:

C:\Users\administrator.AII>setspn -L PSDN02

Registered ServicePrincipalNames for CN=PSDN02,CN=Computers,DC=AII,DC=COM:
            Hyper-V Replica Service/PSDN02
            Hyper-V Replica Service/PSDN02.AII.COM
            Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/PSDN02
            Microsoft Virtual System Migration Service/PSDN02.AII.COM
            Microsoft Virtual Console Service/PSDN02
            Microsoft Virtual Console Service/PSDN02.AII.COM
            TERMSRV/PSDN02
            TERMSRV/PSDN02.AII.COM
            RestrictedKrbHost/PSDN02
            HOST/PSDN02
            RestrictedKrbHost/PSDN02.AII.COM
            HOST/PSDN02.AII.COM

It does "appear" have a proper spn for TERMSRV per MS knowledge base - although it applies to Windows 2008 and not Windows 2012 - of course that is not to say it does not!

Since it is registered, and this server can surely see the domain aii.com, is there some firewall rule that is causing this?  I have two DC's - one not virtual on a different machine and one as a DC on this machine as a VM.

Thanks

Tim

Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:40 PM
  • OK - so I removed all RDS components except license server and RDS virtualization component.  Now I get error ID 85 and 1280 - the 1280 tells me that eventually, I will not be able to remote in once the "license" expires.

This is where I go back and forth - I try to use the KISS method but it looks like I may need to install ALL RDS components and configure them except for the Web Server piece.  Any help is appreciated!

Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:21 PM