none
Capture an Image to WDS - No PXE boot option on nic

Question

• Hey All -

We just got in these new Dell ST Windows 7 tablets.  Trying to capture an image of one and found out the nic does not support PXE.  Any way to capture an image?  I can make bootable USB to deploy the image, just need to be able to capture the image first.

Thanks!

Chris

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If the PC’s NIC is not supported PXE boot, I think you could use the discovery image to install via the Network boot.

A discover image is a type of boot image that you can use to install an operating system on a computer that is not capable of network booting using the Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE). You may want to use a discover image in the following scenarios:

•  A client is not PXE-enabled.
    •  A client is on a different subnet and you do not have method of getting PXE to the client (for example, IP helper tables or Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP).
    •  You have many Windows Deployment Services servers and want to target a specific server.

For the detailed procedures and information, you could refer to the article below:

Title: Creating Discover Images
    URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637996(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:33 AM

All replies

• The WDS capture boot image is just a normal WinPE image that launches wdscapture.exe by default. You should be able to produce a bootable USB using this image, instead of booting this image from PXE.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

If the PC’s NIC is not supported PXE boot, I think you could use the discovery image to install via the Network boot.

A discover image is a type of boot image that you can use to install an operating system on a computer that is not capable of network booting using the Pre-Boot Execution Environment (PXE). You may want to use a discover image in the following scenarios:

•  A client is on a different subnet and you do not have method of getting PXE to the client (for example, IP helper tables or Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP).
    •  You have many Windows Deployment Services servers and want to target a specific server.

For the detailed procedures and information, you could refer to the article below:

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

James is correct, use a discover image :)

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:42 AM
  • Hi,

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

Ok that's great, I'll try that.  But how can I capture an image of the non PXE computer?  I've built up this tablet and need to capture an image of it.  Is there a way I can make a wim image of the tablet and then make that the discoverable image? 

Thanks!

Chris

Tuesday, February 21, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Hi,

If you would like to create a capture image, you could follow the checklist below:

Title: Checklist: Create a Capture Image

URL: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731806(v=ws.10).aspx

After capturing the image on the reference PC, you need to upload the image to the WDS server. If the network is not supported to upload, you could burn the captured image to a CD/DVD disk, then manually import the image to the server via removable media device.

Discover image is for the boot image. Its funciton is to locate the WDS server. So it's not related to the install image.

What do you mean by Tablet PC? Based on the x86 architecture? Or based on the ARM chip architecture? If it's x86 architecture, it could be deployed by WDS; if not, it can't be.

Regards,

James

James Xiong

Wednesday, February 22, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Any Update?

James

James Xiong

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:14 AM