none
VDI - Problem creating user profile disks

Question

• From my RDS connection broker, I'm attempting to configure the path for Hyper-V VDI user profile disks on a single pooled collection. I've created a remote share and set the correct permissions, however each time I try to do this I receive the following error:

Could not create the template VHD. Error message: -2147024784

This error seems to be restircted only to the volume I want the share to exist on (remote UNC path). If I try creating the same named share on another voume of the same server, the process completes successfully. If I specify another different server, this also works.

Initially I was able to create the template vhd in the desired path, however after deleteing and re-creating the collection it seems I can no longer recycle this path for user profile disks or in fact any different named path I create on the same volume.

All related servers in the environment have been rebooted and no additional events are displayed in the event log.

Friday, November 23, 2012 9:39 AM

Answers

• Problem resolved. I discovered a quota on the effected disk which was less than the default size of the UPD template. After removing the quota, everything is working as normal.

Thanks for everyone's input.

• Marked as answer by akuma22 Monday, November 26, 2012 8:30 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 8:30 AM

All replies

• Is the share hosted on a Windows Server 2012 File Server?  If not, can you create one and see if that works?

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:56 PM
  • No, the file share is on 2008 R2 server. I don't have another 2012 file server but imagine this would work since all other destinations seem to work, none of which are 2012. The problem is, the drive I would like to host the share on, is the only one that generates this problem.

As previously mentioned, if I create a share with the same name, same permissions on the same server but on another NTFS volume, it works.

Using a different folder/share name on the problematic volume doesn't work either.

Friday, November 23, 2012 3:01 PM
  • What is the difference between this volume and the ones that work?  Anything?

Don Geddes - SR Support Escalation Engineer - Remote Desktop Services - Printing and Imaging

Friday, November 23, 2012 3:18 PM
  • Absolutely nothing. I personally configured the storage on this file server. They are pass through disks within a different hyper-v vm but are functioning normally for all other file/sharing operations. There are several volumes on the file server, some sharing the same physical disks. In my tests, I'm able to create/use a share on another volume of the same raid group (same physical disks).

Like I said, originally this problematic volume also worked for a short time. I first discovered the problem above after gracefully deleting and recreating a VDI collection which originally used this volume to host the user profile disks.

It seems that the volume has been earmarked bad or some kind of weird caching issue. I'm sure that the error code reveals all but like everyone else, I'm currently awaiting server 2012 documentation.

Friday, November 23, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your question.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Best Regards,
    Aiden

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Aiden Cao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Problem resolved. I discovered a quota on the effected disk which was less than the default size of the UPD template. After removing the quota, everything is working as normal.

Thanks for everyone's input.

• Marked as answer by akuma22 Monday, November 26, 2012 8:30 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

I’m glad to hear that your problem has been resolved. Cheers!

Best Regards,
    Aiden

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Aiden Cao
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 26, 2012 8:35 AM