none
Can't shrink volume - even with 160GB free

Question

• I've got a 190GB volume (C: drive) available, with only 30GB used on it.  I'd like to shrink this to about half the size, but I'm not allowed to shrink it at all (I shrank this previously, 190GB is apparently the minimum size).  There are no shadow copies that I can see and the page file can't possibly be that big, and I did a defrag.  The only thing was that I just removed an old mailbox database that was taking up about 100GB.  Is there some leftover file mass that's preventing me from shrinking this volume?  How can I free up this space?

----------- Ron E Biggs Network Administrator Entertainment Studios
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First you can test the "diskpart" command with "shrink" to see if it can help.

If not, you may need to get a 3rd party tool to help on it. Here is an article which explained the possible cause of the issue:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by Ron E Biggs Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ron E Biggs Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ron E Biggs Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:10 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:51 AM

All replies

• What operating system is it?

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:16 AM
  • 2008R2 Enterprise.
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:36 AM
  • Additional considerations

When you shrink a partition, certain files (for example, the paging file or the shadow copy storage area) cannot be automatically relocated and you cannot decrease the allocated space beyond the point where the unmovable files are located. If the shrink operation fails, check the Application Log for Event 259, which will identify the unmovable file. If you know the cluster or clusters associated with the file that is preventing the shrink operation, you can also use the fsutil command at a command prompt (type fsutil volume querycluster /? for usage). When you provide the querycluster parameter, the command output will identify the unmovable file that is preventing the shrink operation from succeeding.

In some cases, you can relocate the file temporarily. For example, if the unmovable file is the paging file, you can use Control Panel to move it to another disk, shrink the volume, and then move the page file back to the disk.

If the number of bad clusters detected by dynamic bad-cluster remapping is too high, you cannot shrink the partition. If this occurs, you should consider moving the data and replacing the disk.

Do not use a block-level copy to transfer the data. This will also copy the bad sector table and the new disk will treat the same sectors as bad even though they are normal.

You can shrink primary partitions and logical drives on raw partitions (those without a file system) or partitions using the NTFS file system.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731894.aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 2:39 AM
  • how did you defrag? tried the command line version with parameter /x ?
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:50 PM
  • I did not.  I just tried a standard defrag using the GUI from Drive Properties.  What does the /x do? 

And I'm still not quite familiar with the Shadow Copy Storage.  I suspect this may be an issue, though I can't figure out how to verify this.  Like I said, the drive at its fullest took up about this much space, but I've since reduced the occupied size to 30GB.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Ok I tried doing the command line defrag with /x.  No change.  The defrag report already said it was 0% fragmented, the only thing that changeed was largest free space size went from 11.45GB to 14.39GB.

Couple other things to consider - this is a virtual server, but I can't imagine this makes a difference.  Also, previously scheduled backups were returning consistency check warnings.  But last night, after I removed the old exchange database, it backed up fine, and I ran a manual backup just fine this morning.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

First you can test the "diskpart" command with "shrink" to see if it can help.

If not, you may need to get a 3rd party tool to help on it. Here is an article which explained the possible cause of the issue:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/working-around-windows-vistas-shrink-volume-inadequacy-problems/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Marked as answer by Ron E Biggs Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:09 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ron E Biggs Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ron E Biggs Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:10 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:51 AM
  • Thanks Shaon, I'll try some of the steps in that article.  But just to be sure, is it true the Windows Defragmenter doesn't show a file table, like in your link?  If it does, how do I pull it up?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:16 PM
  • Ok, well I tried everything I could in the article.  My understanding is System Restore doesn't exist on 2008R2 (I assume it uses VSS instead), and I freed up about 20GB.  I won't be able to actually go in and delete the pagefile until later, as this is a production system.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:42 PM